World

Donald Trump: 'We have sickos all over the place'

Washington: Donald Trump, front-runner for the 2016 Republican presidential nomination, has condemned President Barack Obama's proposed executive actions to curb gun violence.

More News Videos

Somali extremists use Trump clip for recruitment

Al-Qaida's East African affiliate releases a recruitment video targeting American blacks and Muslims that includes a clip of presidential candidate Donald Trump calling for Muslims to be banned from entering the US.

Mr Trump said the United States should focus more on mental health measures to curb gun violence, such as building "institutions for people that are sickos."

"I don't like anything having to do with changing our second amendment. We have plenty of rules and regulations. There's plenty of things that they can do right now that are already there," said Mr Trump.

Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump during a rally in Biloxi, Mississippi on Saturday.
Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump during a rally in Biloxi, Mississippi on Saturday. Photo: Rogelio V. Solis

"They should be looking at mental health. I mean, we should build, like, institutions for people that are sickos. We have sickos all over the place."

In a wide-ranging interview on CBS News' Face the Nation on Sunday, Mr Trump also said he would maintain his tough talk on Muslims, despite the use of his comments in a recruitment video for the Somali extremist group al-Shabab.

Advertisement

"They use other people, too," the billionaire real estate mogul said of the Somali video, which was posted on Twitter on December 31. "What am I going to do? I have to say what I have to say."

Mr Trump has called for "a total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States." A clip of him proposing the temporary ban appeared in a 51-minute video produced by the group, which has ties to Islamic State and al-Qaida.

God save America: Donald Trump election merchandise.
God save America: Donald Trump election merchandise. Photo: Rogelio V. Solis

A top aide to President Barack Obama said on Saturday that "nobody should be surprised" that al-Shabab had used Mr Trump's comments.

"We have said now for weeks, if not months, that any indication that supports the notion that the United States is at war with Islam will be taken advantage of by terrorist organisations who depend on propagating that narrative to recruit people," Ben Rhodes, deputy national security adviser, said in a briefing with reporters in Honolulu.

On the ABC News This Week with George Stephanopoulos broadcast on Sunday, Ben Carson, another 2016 Republican presidential hopeful, didn't see a need for Mr Trump or anyone else to tone down their comments.

"The fact of the matter is, let's not get so concerned about how offended our enemies are," said Mr Carson, a retired neurosurgeon.

Americans can expect to hear a lot more rhetoric from Mr Trump over the coming months.

Having so far relied on free media appearances for exposure, he announced he would start buying advertising space ahead of the Iowa and New Hampshire primaries. 

"I'm going to spend $2 million on ads per week at least," he told CBS. 

The Washington Post