'Very special': family mark anniversary of backpacker's murder

The family of murdered backpacker Caroline Stuttle say they miss her every day, as they mark the 10th anniversary of her death.

The 19-year-old student, from York, was robbed and pushed off a bridge in Bundaberg, Queensland, while on a gap year in April 2002.

A service was held in Miss Stuttle's memory at York Minster this evening.

Marjorie Marks-Stuttle, the teenager's mother, described her daughter as "very special" and said she believed it was important to remember her on the 10th anniversary of her death.

She said the service in York was a chance for people to get together and light a candle in Miss Stuttle's memory and in memory of others.

Mrs Marks-Stuttle, who runs a charity in her daughter's name dedicated to raising awareness of safe travel for young people, told Yorkshire Television's Calendar news program: "Well, after such a tragic loss of life, as a family we were absolutely devastated.


"And naturally we miss her every day and miss all the things she would be doing.

"Today's important because we're 10 years on - it's a decade on - and for those that maybe don't remember Caroline, it's important to know what we're doing in her memory, which is the charity, Caroline's Rainbow Foundation."

Richard Stuttle, the student's brother, added that Caroline would have approved of the charity due to her love of travel and different cultures.

Mr Stuttle, who gave a reading at the memorial service, said the family felt "passionate" about their work helping other young people.

People gathered at York Minster to "remember the special person she was in this world".

The service included prayers led by the Dean of York and guests were given the opportunity to light candles in Miss Stuttle's memory.

The gap-year student was killed during a bag snatch by drug addict Ian Previte, who was found guilty of her murder in October 2004 and is serving a life sentence.

Previte, 32, was also given 10 years for robbery.

He denied pushing Miss Stuttle to her death from a 10-metre bridge in Bundaberg.