Accused bikie is given bail

Accused bikie is given bail

A Canberra bikie accused of bashing and threatening to kill a man over a $16,000 repair bill for a motorbike has been released on bail.

Alex Bourne, 26, is fighting allegations that he and another man, Michael David Reece, 27, bashed and intimidated the victim, who they had allegedly been pursuing for months over the debt.

The man was thought to have crashed on Reece's uninsured bike in October, causing $16,000 damage.

Bourne and Reece - who are both believed by police to be part of the Rebels Outlaw Motorcycle Gang - arranged to meet the man outside the Wok It Up store on Hibberson Street in Gungahlin last month.

Police say the man was told Reece's Rebels' colours had been taken from him because he had failed to fix the bike.

Bourne and Reece allegedly demanded the man take them to his car, a 1997 Holden Commodore, and told him to write out a note saying he was selling the vehicle to them for $200.


Bourne is then accused of punching him in the back of his head, and continuing to assault him as he fell on the ground.

He allegedly punched and stomped on the man's head, fracturing his eye socket.

Bourne and Reece allegedly threatened to shoot him and his mother's house if he did not pay the debt, or if he talked to police. Police allege the pair gave the man one week to pay.

Bourne appeared in the ACT Magistrates Court on Thursday for a bail application.

His lawyer Paul Edmonds argued bail conditions could sufficiently address the prosecution's concerns that Bourne would make more threats or interfere with witnesses.

Magistrate Peter Dingwall said the presumption of innocence could not be ignored, acknowledging that Bourne had pleaded not guilty. He said nothing in Bourne's criminal history suggested violence or a history of failing to comply with court orders.

Mr Dingwall acknowledged there was a possibility of future threats to the complainant, but said that bail was a test of whether there was a likelihood of such actions.

He said that there was not sufficient evidence to suggest such a likelihood existed, particularly with strict bail conditions that could be placed on Bourne.

The court imposed two sureties of $5000 each, and ordered Bourne not to leave the ACT, to reside in Palmerston, report to police twice a week, and not to go into Ngunnawal.

Bourne is also required to surrender his passport, not use drugs or alcohol, and not intimidate, threaten or harass a number of people.

He will appear in court again at a later date.

Christopher Knaus is a reporter for The Canberra Times.

Most Viewed in National


Morning & Afternoon Newsletter

Delivered Mon–Fri.

By signing up you accept our privacy policy and conditions of use