The ACT government has told Canberra's multistorey unit block builders and developers to lift their game after claims some projects were so shoddy they would be cheaper to demolish and rebuild than to repair.
Ross Taylor, a consultant who has been working with Access Canberra to develop a more streamlined dispute resolution model for builders and unit owners, said he had been called in on one project where repairs just weren't economic.
- In other news, Jan McKergow and her husband narrowly avoided serious injury when large bricks began falling on to their bed after a tornado-like storm ripped through their Forbes Creek home on Saturday night, the same night Canberra had its highest daily rainfall for the month.
- The completion of a $9.4 million restoration effort at The Lodge should end decades-long debates about building a new official Canberra residence for the prime minister, according to a senior bureaucrat.
- The ACT government has defended its right to seek access to Canberrans' private phone and internet records without a warrant, in moves designed to assist law enforcement and anti-tax evasion efforts.
- After three years of apparently roaming wild around Gungahlin, Franklin the Maremma Sheepdog looks remarkably well-kept.
- Nicholls has led house price growth in Canberra over the past six months with its median value skyrocketing by 12 per cent.
- To sport... out of all of the Canberra Capitals' 20 losses this season, this one hurt the most.
- Novak Djokovic has now won six out of six Australian Open finals, and Andy Murray has lost five out of five. Murray, meanwhile, was on the first flight home to see his heavily pregnant partner.
- India claimed a thrilling last-ball win over Australia to complete series whitewash.
9.02am: An earlier accident on Murrumbateman Road is now clear.
7.34am: There's been a crash on Murrumbateman Road, near the Barton Highway impacting both lanes.
Ben and Jerry's Openair Cinema is making its way to Canberra's central lakeside venue on Patrick White Lawns. Until 21 Feb.
See the year's best cartoons in Behind the Lines 2015 at the Museum of Australian Democracy.
Today: Cloudy. Very high (90%) chance of showers, becoming less likely in the afternoon. Light winds. Min 11, max 24.
Tuesday: Partly cloudy. Light winds. Min 12, max 29.
Wednesday: Cloudy. Slight (30%) chance of a shower, most likely in the afternoon and evening. Light winds. Min 13, max 29.
Morning & Afternoon Newsletter