Sailors on Australia's submarines will be given annual lump sum payments of up to $50,000 just for staying in their jobs as navy bosses grow increasingly desperate to keep crews on the boats.
- The heated politics of the Joy Burch affair are set to overshadow the first Assembly sitting period, as the opposition seeks to block the dumped minister from committee positions and the deputy speakership.
- Canberrans paid the highest costs in the country for long-day childcare last year while the staff caring for children were the least qualified.
- Canberra Hospital has removed golliwog dolls from its kiosk, after its auxiliary came under fire for selling them on hospital grounds.
- A director of the Canberra Multicultural Fringe Festival promises to push the envelope this year but doesn't expect any outrage after 'keeping everyone happy' last year.
- An influential Liberal MP has proposed changes to the tax system that would slash income tax for millions of Australians and create a single rate for most earners.
- Canberra's Uniting Church congregations would welcome refugees seeking sanctuary from deportation to Manus Island or Nauru "with open doors, open hearts, and open tables".
- Outgoing Capital Football chief executive Heather Reid says the abuse she copped from some quarters took its toll after 12 years in the position.
- Canberra Capitals coach Carrie Graf said she would have walked away from WNBL coaching this year irrespective of results.
9.38am: That earlier crash at Holt is all clear. Looks like it was fairly minor and no one was taken to hospital.
8.52am: Southern Cross Drive westbound is closed after a two car crash at the intersection of Moyes Crescent and Southern Cross Drive in Holt. One car is still on the road and there's debris everywhere.
8.48am: Looks like our first crash of the morning is in Holt! Emergency services are heading to a crash on the intersection of Moyes Crescent and Southern Cross Drive.
Ben and Jerry's Openair Cinema is making its way to Canberra's central lakeside venue on Patrick White Lawns. Until 21 Feb.
See the year's best cartoons in Behind the Lines 2015 at the Museum of Australian Democracy.
Today: Partly cloudy. Winds southeasterly 15 to 25 km/h tending easterly. Min 11, Max 25.
Saturday: Partly cloudy. Light winds. Min 13 max 27.
Sunday: Sunny afternoon. Light winds.. Min 12, max 30.
Morning & Afternoon Newsletter