Child porn accused gets strict bail conditions
Advertisement

Child porn accused gets strict bail conditions

An IT expert allegedly found with pornographic images of his young daughter in an interstate hotel has been released on bail, with a court hearing his computing business would fail without his specialist knowledge.

But the 36-year-old Canberran, who cannot be named, will have his internet use heavily monitored by the Australian Federal Police, and has been told he cannot have any contact with his family.

The man was arrested while in Adelaide on business, and was extradited to the ACT earlier this week.

He is facing one charge of using a carriage service to transmit child pornography, but further charges are expected.

Police have seized computers, USB sticks, smart phones, hard drives, and a number of emails.

Advertisement

They have also seized a camera with two memory cards.

One memory card allegedly held 21 images of child pornography, and depicted his daughter in an interstate hotel.

The other card had four images, including one depicting the man with his daughter, the court heard.

The defendant has helped police with their investigations, offering up passwords to allow access into several devices and accounts.

He made his second bail application before the ACT Magistrates Court on Friday.

The prosecution did not oppose bail, but argued there should be a blanket ban on internet use, and that he should not be allowed to leave the ACT.

But defence barrister James Lawton said the man's small IT business and consultancy service would be ruined by those conditions.

Mr Lawton said the defendant had co-operated fully with authorities, and would be foolish to attempt to reoffend while he was under such intense scrutiny.

"If the man is silly enough to use the internet for anything other than work purposes, he can expect to have the AFP knocking on his door within minutes," he said.

The court heard his IT business would fail without his skills and knowledge, or if he was banned completely from using the internet,

Magistrate Peter Morrison released the man on bail on strict conditions, including that he not contact his daughters or his wife.

He must report details of all his internet use to the AFP and notify of any plans to go interstate.

He is not allowed to be in the presence of any children without an adult.

Earlier this week, the man was refused bail over fears he may interfere with evidence. At that stage, authorities were still attempting to access a Hushmail email account, a secure and heavily encrypted service based in Canada.

Most Viewed in National

Loading
Advertisement