No evidence of food poisoning found at Raiders club
Advertisement

No evidence of food poisoning found at Raiders club

Health authorities investigating a suspected food poisoning outbreak have found no trace of pathogens or contaminants in food samples taken from the Raiders Belconnen Club in Kippax.

However, ACT Health is unable to rule out the club as the source of the outbreak, which resulted in 29 of 40 guests at a wake becoming sick.

Cheryle Parkes of Ngunnawal with family members, L-R  Eddie Parkes of Ngunnawal , Caitln Irvine,11 of Nichols, Belinda Parkes of Ngunnawal, Kirsty Irvine of Nichols and Haydn Irvine,14 of Nichols all fell ill after eating at the Raiders Belconnen.

Cheryle Parkes of Ngunnawal with family members, L-R Eddie Parkes of Ngunnawal , Caitln Irvine,11 of Nichols, Belinda Parkes of Ngunnawal, Kirsty Irvine of Nichols and Haydn Irvine,14 of Nichols all fell ill after eating at the Raiders Belconnen.

Photo: Melissa Adams

Testing of sandwiches, potato salad and pasta salad comes after most guests at the February 12 wake were left bedridden, with some interstate travellers having to delay trips home due to vomiting.

Cheryle Parkes said she believed egg and chicken sandwiches served at her mother's wake were the cause.

Food samples collected from the club on February 14, two days after the wake, tested negative for dangerous bacteria, E. coli and salmonella.

Advertisement

An ACT Health spokeswoman said the results did not rule out food-borne illness affecting the people.

''A failure to detect pathogens in food analysed from suspect sources means that there was no causative organism detected,'' she said.

''It does not mean that an outbreak of food-borne illness did not occur and it does not mean that a particular business did not cause the problem.''

ACT Health said it did not comment on individual businesses involved in suspected outbreaks.

''There are times when, despite Health Protection Service investigations, an outbreak of food poisoning is simply unable to be positively attributed to any particular source,'' she said.

Health Protection Service staff investigated all allegations of food poisoning in the ACT through food inspections, interviews with affected people, pathology tests and testing of food.

Raiders Club manager Craig Potts said the frozen sandwiches tested had been from the same batch as those served at the wake. They included ham, cheese and pickle; chicken, cheese and mayonnaise; and egg and chive sandwiches.

''Quality control is something we take very seriously and we were always very confident that the analysis report from the ACT Health would reflect this,'' he said.

''We will be following up [when the customer] has had a chance to have a look at the report from ACT Health.

''We feel vindicated by the analysis report and trust that all our members and guests are now satisfied the club is and always was serving quality and safe food to all patrons and visitors.''

Ms Parkes said she believed the $627 spread was responsible for the sickness guests suffered.

She said guests who ate the sandwiches had missed up to three days of work and had suffered vomiting and diarrhoea.

''We can't have 29 people who have come from interstate just for a funeral and a wake all have the same symptoms [by chance],'' she said.

''I'm sorry, it just doesn't work that way, and the family members who weren't there didn't get sick.''

Last year home-made mayonnaise was found to be at fault when 140 diners fell ill after eating at a Dickson restaurant.

Most Viewed in National

Loading

Morning & Afternoon Newsletter

Delivered Mon–Fri.

By signing up you accept our privacy policy and conditions of use