There are still Mr Fluffy houses in Canberra. This is where they are
Advertisement

There are still Mr Fluffy houses in Canberra. This is where they are

The expert panel supporting Mr Fluffy homeowners wants to establish a permanent memorial to the asbestos crisis, which the group's chair says should be remembered among the most significant episodes in Canberra's history.

The push came as the ACT government on Thursday published a list of the remaining asbestos-affected homes. The register listed 67 Mr Fluffy properties, 66 of which were still standing.

The register has angered owners who chose to remain in their properties. They say the public disclosure of their addresses will draw unwanted attention.

Dr Sue Packer, the head of the government's Mr Fluffy community and expert reference group, sympathised with properties owners, saying the "whole situation was horrible".

Advertisement

Dr Packer said her group would continue to support owners to ensure their properties were safe to occupy.

She said the reference group would discuss the decision to publish the register at a meeting on Friday, along with a proposal to establish a memorial to the Mr Fluffy crisis.

The group plans to start community consultation on the idea early next year, which could include memorial plaques outside significant Mr Fluffy locations and museum exhibitions.

"This is a fundamental part of our history now and it must be something that is not forgotten," Dr Packer said.

"There are so many who have been affected by this. It is not just the current owners, but the people who lived in the houses before them or worked in them."

The government published details of all 1023 asbestos-affected homes in 2015, but the register published on Thursday marked the first time the public has been told which properties were bulldozed and which remain standing.

Home owners in the remaining properties were sent a letter informing them of the decision in late October.

The deputy director-general of the Environment, Planning and Sustainable Development Directorate, Geoffrey Rutledge, said there was two reasons for the decision.

Mr Fluffy property owner Lorraine Carvalho, pictured,  is angered by the government's decision to publish details of remaining properties.

Mr Fluffy property owner Lorraine Carvalho, pictured, is angered by the government's decision to publish details of remaining properties. Credit:Elesa Kurtz

He said it would it allow visitors, particularly tradespeople, to make an informed decision before they entered a Mr Fluffy property.

The disclosure could also help remove the stigma attached to homes that had been listed on the 2015 register but had since been razed and replaced.

"The thinking behind the register is that the only list that exists for properties is now a few years old," Mr Rutledge said.

"A lot of properties on the register have since been knocked-down and rebuilt and people living in the new homes probably don't want an ongoing stigma of being on a Mr Fluffy register."

He said the government believed that demolishing the remaining homes was the "only lasting solution to the problem".

But he said the ACT wouldn't need to buy back the remaining 67 properties to ensure that happened, with an increasing number of owners choosing to privately fund demolition works.

Owners who choose to stay in their properties must have an asbestos management plan to minimise the future risk of exposure to themselves, other occupants or visitors.

Loading

Of the 67 listed properties, 17 properties do not have such plans, the government says.

Twenty-nine homes have either a compliant or partially-compliant plan. Two properties are in the process of being privately demolished.

The government owns the other 19 properties, which are vacant and do not require plans. Those properties will soon be demolished.

The online register will not disclose which properties have management plans. The government is instead advising people visiting or working at the homes to ask owners to provide details of any contamination.

Lorraine Carvalho, who owns Mr Fluffy founder Dirk Jansen's former home in Lyons, was angered by the decision to publish the register.

"It's bullshit," she said.

"All this is going to do is make us vulnerable to some idiot targeting our properties. Most of the owners are older and this is going to bring a lot of stress and anxiety."

Ms Carvalho said owners were already required to provide notification of their Mr Fluffy status, including placing stickers on the properties.

"This is just a form of bullying and coercion," she said.

Dan Jervis-Bardy is a Canberra Times reporter.

Most Viewed in National

Loading
Advertisement