Australia's Catholic leaders have vowed to end the cover-up of child sexual abuse but steadfastly refuse to break the seal of confession, even if it means priests could face criminal charges.
The leaders have vowed the Catholic Church's shameful history of priests and others in its ranks sexually abusing children will never be repeated.
They pledged accountability and a plan of action in response to a call for sweeping reforms issued by the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse.
It will be up to Pope Francis and his advisers to act on many of the royal commission's far-reaching recommendations and its implications for centuries-old canon law.
The royal commission made 26 specific recommendations for Catholic Church reform, including that Australia’s bishops request the Holy See to change canon law and call child sexual abuse "crimes" rather than "sins" or "moral failings", and to introduce voluntary celibacy.
But Australian bishops will not yield to the royal commission's call to break the seal of confession to reveal child sexual abuse, even if priests face the prospect of criminal charges under extended mandatory reporting laws.
The country's top Catholic body, the Australian Catholic Bishops Conference, and the peak body for religious orders, Catholic Religious Australia, said it was the one royal commission recommendation they could not accept.
"This is because it is contrary to our faith and inimical to religious liberty," ACBC president Archbishop Mark Coleridge and CRA president Sister Monica Cavanagh said.
"We are committed to the safeguarding of children and vulnerable people while maintaining the seal.
"We do not see safeguarding and the seal as mutually exclusive."
Archbishop Coleridge said many changes had been made since the horrific reality of child sexual abuse became known, but they were sometimes too slow and too timid.
He said too many priests, brothers, sisters and lay people failed to protect children and many bishops failed to listen, believe and act.
"Those failures allowed some abusers to offend again and again, with tragic and sometimes fatal consequences," he said in a statement on Friday.
"The bishops and leaders of religious orders pledge today: Never again.
"There will be no cover-up. There will be no transferring of people accused of abuse. There will be no placing the reputation of the church above the safety of children."
Sister Monica said the church had already started to change a number of practices including in the screening and formation of people training to be priests or religious sisters or brothers.
"Today is not about us saying 'we will do the bare minimum' in responding to the royal commission's important recommendations," she said.
"Changing the culture of our church to be answerable and open is part of the action that needs to occur."
The church's key royal commission adviser wants it to appoint an ombudsman or oversight body to investigate complaints and make recommendations to improve systems, processes and the appropriate use of power in the church.
"Such a body would need to have teeth," the Truth, Justice and Healing Council said in a report released on Friday.
The ACBC has started discussions with the Holy See about the royal commission's recommendations dealing with the discipline and doctrine of the universal church.
The royal commission called on the Holy See to make numerous changes to centuries-old church canon law including that the "pontifical secret" does not apply to abuse allegations and to consider voluntary celibacy for diocesan clergy.
Archbishop Coleridge told reporters in Sydney on Friday that, in theory, voluntary celibacy was a possibility but was unlikely. It would have to be decided by the universal church, he said.
"That's a possibility, I wouldn't doubt. But is it going to happen soon? I doubt it."
Archbishop Coleridge said the Holy See was likely to act on some of the royal commission's recommendations, but not on others.
"I suspect that on that question of mandatory celibacy, given its implications for the church in every place around the world, that there won't be much movement on that particular issue," he said.
The royal commission heard that 7 per cent of Catholic priests working in Australia between 1950 and 2010 had been accused of child sex crimes and that nearly 1100 people had filed child sexual assault claims against the Anglican Church over 35 years.