A 26-year-old man has died after he was sucked into a pipe in a mining accident in central western NSW, police say.
The man, believed to be from Victoria, was working underground at the CSA Copper Mine in Cobar when the accident occurred about 11.15pm on Wednesday.
Police said the man was believed to be trying to dislodge debris from the pipe, which was attached to a piece of machinery, when "something went horribly wrong" and he became trapped inside.
A NSW Police spokeswoman said the man was "sucked inside the pipe", but could not provide any further details about how it occurred.
The man's colleagues freed him a short time later, before paramedics arrived at the mine site on Louth Road.
He was taken to Cobar Hospital, but could not be revived, police said.
The mine was evacuated on Wednesday night as police launched an investigation into the man's death.
Mining company Glencore, which owns the copper mine, released a statement saying production at the mine had been suspended.
"We are cooperating with the NSW Police and other authorities who are investigating the fatal event, and have notified the man's family," Glencore said.
"Our primary concern is for the safety and welfare of our people, and we are offering counselling and support services on site."
NSW Resources and Energy Minister Anthony Roberts said the man's death as a "tragic accident".
"I would like to extend my deepest condolences and prayers to the man’s family, friends, co-workers and the wider Cobar community, during this very difficult time," he said.
Mr Roberts said officers from the NSW Mine Safety Investigation Unit were assisting police with the investigation.
NSW Police will also prepare a report for the coroner.
Morning & Afternoon Newsletter