New Year's Eve starts with a bang: cable explodes under Bondi footpath
Advertisement

New Year's Eve starts with a bang: cable explodes under Bondi footpath

An electrical cable has exploded beneath a footpath on a busy Bondi street, forcing the evacuation of a nearby charity shop.

The explosion occurred at the corner of Hall Street and Chambers Avenue about 10.30am on Monday.

A Fire and Rescue NSW spokesman said there appeared to be a fault where two underground cables had been joined together.

"When they join the cables up they put a rubber boot around them and fill it up with tar," the spokesman said.

"There's obviously a fault there somewhere and it has vibrated, created heat, boiled the tar and exploded.

"There's no fire, smoke just comes out."

Advertisement

No one was injured in the explosion, however three people have been evacuated from a nearby Vinnies Retail Centre charity store as a precaution.

An Ausgrid spokesman said crews were at the scene working in the low-voltage cable pit.

There were no reports of power outages in the area, he said.

Megan Levy

Megan Levy is a breaking news reporter for The Sydney Morning Herald, after previous stints at The Age in Melbourne and London's The Daily Telegraph. Email or tweet Megan with your news tips.

Most Viewed in National

Loading

Morning & Afternoon Newsletter

Delivered Mon–Fri.

By signing up you accept our privacy policy and conditions of use