Logan mayor Luke Smith has accused the Turnbull government of having an "atrocious" understanding of his city after it was named as the second site of the Commonwealth's drug-testing trial for welfare recipients.
Social Services Minister Christian Porter and Human Services Minister Alan Tudge will make the announcement in Beenleigh, south of Brisbane, on Wednesday.
But Mr Smith said he had been given no information on the trial or why the city was chosen.
"We didn't even know this was happening in the city of Logan," Cr Smith told ABC radio.
He only found out after a call from the ABC.
"I think to announce this from the top down is a disgrace and the lack of consultation is something I am quite amazed by," Cr Smith said.
He agreed accountability was needed for those on welfare payments but he was resistant to Logan participating in the trial.
He said there has been "tremendous" work to reduce unemployment and crime in the city.
"The drug problem is clearly a nation wide issue ... to stigmatise Logan with this is quite an atrocious lack of understanding of what's going on, on the ground," he said.
On Tuesday, Canterbury-Bankstown in western Sydney was chosen as the first of three trial sites due to the high number of people signing up for welfare and the rapid growth of ice-fuelled hospitalisations in the area.
Morning & Afternoon Newsletter