A Melbourne man has been charged by the Australian Federal Police after allegedly trying to import an assault rifle and semi-automatic weapons from Lebanon.
The 39-year-old from Newport was detained on Sunday amid allegations he planned to bring in high-powered guns including an AK-47 assault rifle.
He was arrested as soon as he touched down at Melbourne International Airport late on Sunday afternoon.
He has been charged with seven counts of trying to buy firearms and money-laundering while overseas.
The Australian Federal Police probe into the smuggling allegations began in December last year, with investigators working alongside Lebanese authorities to identify potential suppliers and traffickers of guns.
The weapons identified during this investigation are the type traditionally sought by organised crime figures, Victorian AFP manager Commander Amanda Kates said.
“It will be alleged the man sought to purchase weapons including an AK-47 and semiautomatic handguns in Lebanon," Commander Kates said.
"We had real fears they could have been used to commit or facilitate other crimes.
"While charges have been laid, our investigators will continue working with domestic and international law enforcement partners to identify the full scope of this matter.”
The man appeared before Melbourne Magistrate’s Court on Tuesday where he was remanded.
He will return to court in January.
Melissa Cunningham reports breaking news for The Age.