Police have charged a man over a sexual assault on a young mother in North Melbourne five years ago.
Detectives from the Sexual Crimes Squad arrested a man on Wednesday as part of their investigation into an alleged sexual assault in North Melbourne in the early hours of June 30, 2013.
He has been charged with one count of rape and one count of intentionally cause serious injury and will appear at the Melbourne Magistrates Court on Wednesday evening.
Earlier this month, a $500,000 reward was announced for information in relation to the incident.
No one had been charged over the sexual assault, despite a public call for information at the time, but police revealed weeks ago that they were close to making an arrest.
A 34-year-old man was arrested in Reservoir just after 1pm. He is currently in custody and assisting police with inquiries.
A 37-year-old woman was also arrested at the property. She is expected to be interviewed in relation to perjury and false alibi offences.
The then 22-year-old victim, who was on her first night out with friends after having a baby, was walking home from the city along King Street to Chetwynd Street, North Melbourne when she noticed a man behind her.
"I crossed the road to go over to my street and I noticed he was behind me again," she said in a video released by police on August 19 this year.
As the woman passed Browns Lane, the man grabbed her in a "bear hug" and dragged her about five metres down the lane.
He punched her in the head several times and knocked her to the ground, kicking her head before sexually assaulting her.
The man was last seen running south down Chetwynd Street.
The woman was hospitalised for several days.
Her nose was broken and she required surgery to treat a large cut on her lip.
She also suffered serious emotional trauma, used alcohol to self-medicate and struggled with insomnia.
“It destroyed me for a really long time," she said.
"I was a new mum; I couldn’t be the mum that I wanted to be because I was dealing with this."
Melissa Cunningham reports breaking news for The Age.