Abalone fisherman saved off Trigg Point

Abalone fisherman saved off Trigg Point

A 50-year-old man who found himself in trouble while diving for abalone, has been resuscitated at Trigg Beach after a City of Stirling beach inspector found him unconscious.

At 7.20am on Sunday the inspector was patrolling the Trigg Point area when he heard cries of help from the fisherman who had been swept into deep water.

The man, who was not breathing by the time the inspector was able to reach him, had to be resuscitated while in the water.

CPR also had to be performed on the man after he was taken back to shore, according to the City of Stirling beach services manager John Snook.

Mr Snook said the man was lucky that the inspector was in the area prior to the morning's first lifeguard shift.

After reviving the fisherman, he was taken by ambulance for further treatment.

The dramatic rescue is the latest disaster to strike an abalone fisherman in Perth, with two having already died since November.

Last week a Perth man drowned off the shore of Cape Leeuwin whilst diving for abalone.

And in November, a 20-year-old Malaysian was swept out to sea in treacherous conditions while on an abalone hunt north of Perth.

The man was caught in a strong rip in Yanchep Lagoon, 55 kilometres north of Perth, and was swept away.

He had been with a group searching for the expensive delicacy on the first day of the heavily restricted recreational fishing season.

The disaster triggered calls for metropolitan abalone fishing spots to be closed in dangerous weather.

Sunday is the third official day of the abalone season, with an hour on the first Sunday of every month from November to March set aside for fisherman to legally collect the large edible sea snails.


The fisherman was taken to Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital in Perth, where he is said to be in a critical condition.

With AAP

Most Viewed in National


Morning & Afternoon Newsletter

Delivered Mon–Fri.

By signing up you accept our privacy policy and conditions of use