Gold Coast ranks depleted further still in bruising defeat to Broncos

Gold Coast ranks depleted further still in bruising defeat to Broncos

It wasn’t enough for Gold Coast to take on Brisbane without Greg Bird, Ashley Harrison, Albert Kelly and Kevin Gordon.

By the time the south-east Queensland derby was half over, the Titans had lost centre William Zillman to concussion and five-eighth Aiden Sezer to a torn pectoral muscle which could see him sidelined for months.

Good Cop: Brisbane winger Dale Copley goes over for the opening try.

Good Cop: Brisbane winger Dale Copley goes over for the opening try.

Photo: Getty Images

But still, with just two reserves, John Cartwright’s brave men led with 24 minutes remaining. In the end, Brisbane’s fifth win of the season probably kept their season alive and handed coach Anthony Griffin a slightly improved platform on which to head into the ravages of the State Of Origin series.

The highlight in front of 31,383 fans was centre Justin Hodges flicking the ball between his legs from dummy half for a crucial try.


Gold Coast led 8-4 at the end of a first half that only came to life in its final 10 minutes.

Five-eighth Aiden Sezer opened the scoring after 11 minutes with a penalty goal and Broncos winger Dale Copley was held up 120 seconds later.

The derby was a poor spectacle until Copley snuck over in the corner after lead-up from Josh Hoffman and Justin Hodges. Corey Parker was unable to convert.

Five minutes later, there was a mirror image of the try in the opposite corner.

Gold Coast centre Brad Takairangi sucked in a couple of defenders and off-loaded to a flying Anthony Don, who dotted down in the corner.

The conversion attempt was taken by late inclusion Beau Henry, after Sezer’s departure, and was successful.

But when Henry took a simpler shot in the shadows of half-time, it missed.

The second half was also slow to get off the ground; most of the excitement early was provided by video referees Steve Clark and Luke Phillips.

Broncos halfback Ben Hunt clearly ran behind dummy runner Jarrod Wallace before putting Alex Glenn over. Wallace did not appear to obstruct any defender – but the try was nonetheless chalked off.

A piece of Hodges magic resulted in the game being tied up.

Moving into dummy half in the north-eastern corner, Hodges flicked the ball between his legs to an unmarked Copley in the north-eastern corner.

It was an unusual and engaging touchdown but we was not enough to grab the lead for the home side, with Parker missing a sideline conversion attempt.

The Titans were furious at conceding a stripping penalty in the lead-up to the try which put Brisbane in front.

Hunt kicked into the in-goal area and centre Matt Gillett chased, touching down a couple of metres short of the dead-ball line. This time, Parker was able to add the extras for a six-point lead.

Anthony Don touched down after an aerial contest with 13 minutes remaining; Titans team-mate Dave Taylor was ruled to have knocked on in the air.

Soon afterwards, the Broncos extended their lead with a Parker penalty goal.


Centre Jack Reed then chased another Hunt kick to put the short-handed and exhausted Titans out of their misery.

BRISBANE 22 (D Copley 2 M Gillett J Reed tries C Parker 3 goals) beat TITANS 8 (A Don try A Sezer B Henry tries) at Suncorp Stadium. Referees: B Cummins/D Munro. Crowd: 31, 383.

Most Viewed in Sport


Morning & Afternoon Newsletter

Delivered Mon–Fri.

By signing up you accept our privacy policy and conditions of use