One new yet familiar voice will be added to a largely unchanged lineup for ABC Radio Canberra in 2019.
ABC Radio presenter and former Canberra journalist Paula Kruger will return to the national capital to present the Afternoons program next year. The only other change will see Anna Vidot move from Afternoons to Drive, following the departure of Laura Tchilinguirian, who is returning to NewsRadio in Sydney.
Dan Bourchier remains on Breakfast in 2019 and Adam Shirley on Mornings.
Kruger returns to Canberra after a year of presenting breakfast radio with ABC Radio Perth. The new lineup is uncontroversial, in sharp contrast to last year when long-time presenter Genevieve Jacobs was dumped by the national broadcaster.
Kruger was based in Canberra with the ABC from 2000 to 2002. She worked in the local newsroom as a journalist soon after finishing her ABC cadetship and was also part of the reporting team that worked on ABC’s 7pm News when Canberra's local bulletin was reintroduced in 2001.
From 2003, Kruger moved to the ABC bureau in the federal Parliament press gallery, reporting for radio news and current affairs.
“I feel like I've never really left Canberra. The place and the friendships formed there are always with you," she said, in a statement.
"I met my bloke - a Canberra boy - while working in the ACT and return all these years later with our two children Oscar and Ashla as well as a loveable disgrace of a dog Otis. The entire family are very excited about calling Canberra home again."
“I'm looking forward to many great conversations on Afternoons sharing our lives and having a few laughs along the way.”
ABC Canberra editor Michelle Ainsworth was thrilled to have Paula Kruger back in Canberra.
"Listeners will be in for some lively chat, from politics to baking, Paula can talk about it. She’ll be great company for listeners each weekday afternoon," Ainsworth said.
“Paula is a knowledgeable and experienced journalist, and a warm and engaging broadcaster. From breaking news to delving into the local issues that people care about, Paula will bring a candid style and sense of humour to Afternoons.”
Vidot will take on Drive after presenting Afternoons since the beginning of this year.
"I’m looking forward to bringing our listeners more of the latest news from the Canberra community, as well as keeping them entertained at the end of a long day,” she said.
Ainsworth expected the change to be seamless.
“Anna is such a versatile and engaging presenter and will continue to inform and entertain listeners in the Drive timeslot," she said.
The new ABC Radio Canberra lineup is from Monday, January 21.
- Breakfast: Dan Bourchier (5.30am-9am)
- AM: Sabra Lane (8am-8.30am)
- Mornings: Adam Shirley (8.30am-11am)
- Conversations: Richard Fidler and Sarah Kanowski (11am-noon)
- The World Today: Eleanor Hall (noon-12.30pm)
- Myf Warhurst (12.30pm-2pm)
- Afternoons: Paula Kruger (2pm-4pm)
- Drive: Anna Vidot (4pm-6.30pm)
- PM: Linda Mottram (6.30pm-7pm)
- Evenings: Chris Bath (Monday-Thursday) and Christine Anu (Friday-Saturday) (7pm-10pm)
- Nightlife: Philip Clark (Monday-Thursday) and Sarah Macdonald (Friday-Sunday) (10pm-2am)
- Overnights: Trevor Chappell (Monday-Thursday) and Rod Quinn (Friday-Sunday) (2am-6am)
- Saturday Breakfast: Greg Bayliss (6am-11am)
- Sunday Brunch: Lish Fejer (10am-noon)