Michelago villagers have expressed anger and frustration at Transport NSW's plans to demolish a landmark disused bridge without community consultation.
Romney Kelly, 33, learned on Tuesday night that John Holland Group, under contract to Transport NSW had plans to demolish the town's beloved rail bridge.
First notice came on Tuesday from a flyer dropped in letterboxes of residents on Michelago's main street, with one resident then posting it on a shared community Facebook page for residents in the wider area to see.
This was the first Ms Kelly learned of it, with the project set to begin this week.
"In Michelago we always seem to get stuck with these things that are pushed through and no one really consults us," Ms Kelly said.
Ms Kelly contacted her local member, NSW Deputy Premier John Barilaro, that night whose office told her the next day there would be a stay on the project pending community consultation.
Both Mr Barilaro's and NSW Transport and Infrastructure minister Andrew Constance confirmed the delay via statements.
"The rail line and bridge represent part of the character and heritage of Michelago and I am happy to champion the communities concerns," Mr Barilaro said.
Mr Constance said his department was happy to investigate alternatives, guided by community safety and cost.
Others in the community, like Cate Spencer, 51, echoed Ms Kelly's feelings of being forgotten by the NSW government and the local Snowy Monaro Council.
"We're fighting for a bit of identity and our history is part of that identity," Ms Spencer said.
She pointed to the removal of a similar bridge on the village's main street earlier in July, again with what she felt was limited community consultation.
The notice given by John Holland said the bridge had reached the end of its life and was being removed for community safety.
Another local, Emily Green, 33, said she was in two minds about the remaining bridge, understanding the safety concerns but also its historical value.
Maintenance is required, she said, but just ripping it down would cost a fortune.
The bridge itself has seen better days, according to those contacted.
There are holes in the section overhanging the road, but it provides a picturesque foreground to the nearby Tinderry mountain range.
Ms Green suggested at the least, beams from the overhanging section could be removed so it doesn't pose a danger to people passing below and prevents people crossing it.
Mr Constance's office did not provide details on when community consultation would take place or how long the removal project had been delayed.
Linda Nicholson from Snowy Monaro Council said the bridge fell outside of the council's jurisdiction and was a matter for the NSW government.