Five firefighting crews were called to put out an industrial fire at the Access Recycling centre on Lithgow Street, Fyshwick on Thursday afternoon.
The fire was believed to have started in a pile of mattresses about 2pm on Thursday and later burnt threw a large pile of mixed recycling material including scrap metal and car bodies.
It was the second time in a year firefighters have been called to a blaze at the recycling centre, after an oxyacetylene gas cylinder slipped into an industrial shredder, causing an explosion and fire on-site in December last year.
That incident was referred to WorkSafe ACT for an investigation, but it is unclear what the result of the investigation has been.
Four ACT Fire and Rescue Services crews were sent to put out the blaze, with a fifth securing a perimeter line behind the property, before it was extinguished about 4.15pm.
Commander Tod Bourne said the owners of the property believed the fire to have started in the pile of mattresses, but fire crews hoped to have determined the specific cause by Thursday night.
He said there were 16 firefighters on scene directly battling the blaze, as well as extra support staff and the crew on the perimeter.
Before the fire was extinguished, residents and workers in the area had been advised to stay indoors to avoid the large dark grey plume of smoke blowing across Fyshwick.