An Indigenous inmate who was almost bashed to death within hours of arriving at the ACT's jail is suing the government, while community leaders say the case is fuelling further mistrust of the justice system.
It has now been six months since Steven Freeman, 24, was attacked in the Alexander Maconochie Centre in late April.
The bashing had left him fighting for his life, requiring resuscitation and urgent surgery at Canberra Hospital.
He was placed in an induced coma for a week, and there are still concerns that he may have been left with permanent brain injury.
Serious questions remain about the circumstances of the attack. Freeman had only just arrived at the AMC, and was bashed within hours of being admitted.
Police last week revealed that forensic testing of a bloodied shoe and fingerless gloves had helped them identify three suspects.
They called on the public to come forward with any information on the bashing. It is understood Freeman continues to have no memory of the attack.
Now, it can be revealed that Freeman's legal team at Sharman Lynch Solicitors has put the ACT Government on notice that a personal injury claim will be launched.
The proceedings are still in their early stages, and it is understood the parties are in the process of discovery, or asking for and receiving relevant documents.
No formal statement of claim has been lodged with the courts, nor has a defence.
On Tuesday, the Winnunga Nimmityjah Aboriginal Health Service said the case still raised issues of "major concern".
Chief executive officer Julie Tongs criticised the level of information released to the community, saying it would be "sad indeed" if silence was being used to protect the government from legal consequences.
Ms Tongs said the case was further fuelling mistrust between the Indigenous community and the justice and corrections systems.
"People are still suspicious about what happened," she said.
"People will read things into things that may not necessarily be the case. But there's a lot of mistrust in our community around police and prison, and that's happened over many, many years."
Following the attack, Winnunga called for an independent inquiry.
Ms Tongs also urged the government to be transparent with the case, and tell the community what it knew.
"We need to know what happened, and we need to try to prevent it from ever happening again," she said.
"Someone took their eye off the ball."
Freeman remains behind bars at the AMC, facing a range of serious offences, but has not been the target of further attacks.
Prison management has taken extra steps to ensure his security, and avoid him being placed with others who may pose a danger.
Police continue to investigate the prison bashing, and have asked anyone with information to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.