A Canberra mother's claims her teenager's Facebook account had been hacked by a member of Islamic State proved a false alarm, police say.
The woman warned parents her son's social media account had been breached through a message she posted on the popular Canberra Mums Facebook page on Monday.
"Today my 13-year-old son's Facebook account has been either hacked or he has mistakenly accepted a friend request by someone recruiting for ISIS similar to the young teenager in Melbourne," the post read.
The woman wrote her son "had no idea this person was on his account" and she also found "private messages to my son from these people with detail I can't go into".
The Australian Federal Police were informed about an approach to a child's Facebook profile from a person who claimed to be from the Middle East.
Police said on Thursday they were looking into the veracity of the claims made in the post.
An ACT Policing spokesman confirmed on Friday there was no link to Islamic State and the matter had been closed.
"Police have reviewed the matter and is satisfied that it is either spam or innocuous and there is nothing within the request to suggest any connection to any terrorist or militant organisation," the spokesman said.
The incident prompted police to encourage parents who were concerned over their child's social media or email accounts being targeted by extremists to contact the National Security Hotline on 1800 123 400.