Hayne to be handed new charge over alleged 2018 sexual assault

Jarryd Hayne will be served a new charge of sexual intercourse without consent on Wednesday when he returns to a Newcastle court over allegations he sexually assaulted and bit a 26-year-old woman at her home in the Hunter in 2018.

The charge is the second to be levelled against the embattled former rugby league star in relation to the same incident, for which he has already been charged with aggravated sexual assault inflicting actual bodily harm, in November last year.

He has pleaded not guilty to last year's charge.

Jarryd Hayne is about to face further charges. Picture: AAP

Jarryd Hayne is about to face further charges. Picture: AAP

The incident took place on the night of the NRL grand final last year when police allege Hayne travelled in a taxi to the young woman's house in the Newcastle region.

At the house it is alleged he sexually assaulted the woman, ripping off her clothes and biting her on her genital area, drawing blood. She sought medical treatment for her injuries at a hospital the following day.

Previously lodged court documents allege that the assault took place between 8pm and 10pm on September 30, when Hayne had "sexual intercourse with a 26-year-old female known to police, without her consent...knowing that she was not consenting to the sexual intercourse in circumstances of aggravation".

They further allege that the assault inflicted "actual bodily harm" on the woman.

It is understood the new charge relates to a specific sex act allegedly committed by Hayne that same night.

The charge will be presented at Newcastle Local Court on Wednesday, where Hayne is expected to appear for a committal hearing.

At a brief court appearance at the end of last year, Hayne's lawyer Leo Premutico said the former footballer "maintains his innocence."

"A plea of not guilty will be entered; he'd like at this time to thank those who have offered him support, in particular his parents, his mother and father," Mr Premutico said outside Burwood Local Court on December 10.

Hayne's career was at a crossroads before the allegations. After displaying glimpses of his best form late last season, Parramatta had indicated they wanted to re-sign him but didn't have the salary cap space required to do so. After starting the final game of the season in his customary No.1 jersey, Hayne was demanding "fullback money" at a time when the Eels had only $200,000 left to spend. The club subsequently offloaded Corey Norman to the Dragons to free up money but quickly distanced themselves from the two-time Dally M medallist after he was charged.

St George Illawarra also expressed some interest in signing Hayne but quickly dropped off after the sexual assault allegations. The Red V subsequently re-signed Matt Dufty, who has slotted in at fullback following a long-term injury to Gareth Widdop. Parramatta has also settled on their custodian, Clint Gutherson, although his own long-term future remains clouded despite protracted and public contract negotiations.

The NRL has subsequently introduced new protocols regarding player behaviour, but Hayne wouldn't have to be registered regardless even if a club tabled him an offer.

Hayne has kept a low profile while awaiting the outcome of his court cases. He has sporadically trained with sprint coach Roger Fabri in a bid to remain fit but his professional playing career is likely over.

- SMH/The Age

This story Hayne to be handed new charge over alleged 2018 sexual assault first appeared on The Sydney Morning Herald.

Comments