Gordon townhouse destroyed by fire

Fire has damaged a home in Gordon overnight.

The blaze at the two-storey townhouse on Jim Pike Avenue started in the garage at the property just after 1am on Thursday.

A spokesman for the ACT Emergency Services said the fire spread to other parts of the home.

The fire started in the garage before spreading to other parts of the house. Picture: ACT Emergency Services Agency

The fire started in the garage before spreading to other parts of the house. Picture: ACT Emergency Services Agency

Six fire crews were called to the fire, with paramedics treating one person at the scene.

The fire was extinguished just after 5am, with firefighters still remaining on the ground.

The fire did not spread to other homes nearby.

The spokesman urged people to avoid the area, with temporary road closures still in effect.