WorkSafe ACT will refer a Canberra builder to the Director of Public Prosecutions after workers put a Kambah family at risk of asbestos-related illnesses.
Last month, parents Justin and Erin Thompson were forced to leave their home for more than three weeks after builders used angle grinders to cut through asbestos sheeting during bathroom renovations, contaminating the family's home.
''Our neighbour came over and told us he thought there was asbestos being placed out the front of our house,'' Mr Thompson said.
''He confronted the builder and the guy told him he didn't know what he was talking about, so our neighbour called WorkSafe and they tested it and confirmed it was very dangerous.''
Along with their five-year-old son and three-year-old daughter, the couple lived in the home during renovations, with Ms Thompson cleaning toxic fibres from surfaces in the kitchen and living area. Despite assurances from the builder that the asbestos ''was not the dangerous kind'', the family will require ongoing annual medical tests for life-threatening illnesses, including mesothelioma.
Mr Thompson said a $6000 deposit paid to the builder had not been returned, and the work he had completed on site was ''shoddy, dangerous and appalling''.
With their bathroom still incomplete, the family has been forced to use a makeshift outdoor bathroom until their replacement builders can complete the renovation. More than 120 personal items, including dozens of contaminated children's toys, had to be destroyed by authorities to prevent further risk to the family.
Fairfax Media sought comment from the builder on Friday night but did not receive a response.
The company website says it has a reputation for success and has achieved commercial recognition and membership in the Housing Industry Association of Australia.
WorkSafe ACT Commissioner Mark McCabe said three prohibition notices, two improvement notices and two infringements had been issued to the company.
''There is no such thing as asbestos which is not dangerous so this is very concerning, especially coming from an established company who members of the public would assume they can trust,'' he said.
''We are treating this case very seriously and my advice for anyone worried about what work is being undertaken at their home is to immediately contact ACT Planning and Land Authority or WorkSafe and we will investigate.''
NSW Electrical Trades Union assistant secretary Neville Betts said the case was one of the most extreme he had seen. ''The poor buggers sat through three days of asbestos risk because of the dodgy builder,'' he said. ''I have had a quick chat to some other union members and we have asked the family to give us a list of the children's toys so we can replace them.''
The couple said they were touched by offers of assistance but did not wish to receive donations.