It has taken just on a year for the Australian War Memorial to complete a clean sweep of its top leadership.
The last major vacancy, that of deputy director, has been filled with the potentially controversial appointment of Tim Sullivan, now the deputy chief executive of the Sovereign Hill ''open air museum'' in Victoria, due to be announced soon.
Recruiting from a historical theme park has set alarm bells ringing in some quarters. A Vietnam veteran told Fairfax Media the AWM was ''already in danger of going down the historical theme park road'' with the decision to project images of warfare on its walls before the dawn service this Anzac Day.
Others have welcomed the choice, with a memorial insider saying it was likely to have been driven by Brendan Nelson, who is now nearing the end of his second month as director.
''[Visitor] numbers have been flat,'' the insider said.
''Traditionally the AWM has recruited [senior management] from within itself. New blood and a greater emphasis on marketing will help the institution moving forward.''
Sovereign Hill attracts about 950,000 paying visitors a year, 50,000 more than the 877,000 who visited the AWM for free in 2009-10.
The AWM's changing of the guard began exactly one year ago when General Peter Cosgrove stepped down as chairman of its council and also as a member.
He had served eight years on the council, two of which were ex officio as the chief of army, and five as chairman
Rear-Admiral Ken Doolan, the national president of the RSL, was elected chairman on the same day.
War Memorial director Major General Steve Gower, who had been on carer's leave since November 2011, retired on August 31, 2012, just five months later.
Deputy director Nola Anderson had been the acting director during General Gower's extended leave of absence. There had been a strong expectation within the AWM that with 25 years experience under her belt she would take General Gower's place.
Instead Dr Nelson, a former opposition leader and coalition defence minister, was named as General Gower's replacement.
''Nola Anderson has been acting director [since November 2011] and will continue acting in the role until December 2012 when Brendan Nelson takes up the position,'' an AWM spokeswoman said.
Ms Anderson ended her career at the AWM on December 14, 2012, three days before Dr Nelson was originally due to start work on December 17.
Dr Nelson's appointment as Australia's ambassador to the European Union, the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation, Brussels and Luxembourg ended in November 2012.
His arrival at the AWM was delayed and he finally started work on February 5, 2013.
Significant changes have already occurred on his watch with the AWM council voting this month to admit all Australian servicemen and servicewoman who die on operational service, including peacekeepers, to the roll of honour.
As recently as last September the AWM council was staunchly against the proposal.
''The memorial has three honour rolls; the Remembrance Book, the Commemorative Roll and the Roll of Honour,'' a statement issued on September 14, 2012, said. ''The memorial regards each as equally significant.''
That view was not shared by the broader community and the change of heart has received widespread support.
Sovereign Hill chief executive officer Jeremy Johnson said Mr Sullivan would finish there in April and was expected to start work in Canberra in May.
''As far as Tim is concerned this is a job that's been made in heaven,'' he said.
''We wish him every success. He has made a real contribution here.''
Mr Sullivan was also Sovereign Hill's museums director with responsibility for the Gold Museum and the Outdoor Museum, which he established. He could not be reached for comment.