Thousands of weekend bus services have failed to show up since sweeping and controversial changes to the network were made in late April.
New figures reveal there have been 2482 weekend bus cancellations since the overhaul up until July 7.
And that number is likely to now be much higher with even poorer service reliability reported in the past two weekends. The opposition is calling on the government to make travel free until driver shortages and weekend cancellations are resolved.
The bus network's performance has steadily declined since its launch, with recent weekend reliability hovering just above 80 per cent, far below the benchmark of 99.5 per cent. The network overhaul added extra weekend services, but the government continues to struggle to find enough drivers to service them.
ACT bus drivers are not forced to work weekends and, unless working overtime, are not offered penalty rates if they choose to.
The figures were revealed in answers to questions on notice from Estimates' hearings.
They also revealed that during the first weekend of the new network, from May 4, the government delivered 95.7 per cent of bus services.
But by the eighth week, that figure had dropped to 91.2 per cent.
The Transport Workers Union has said drivers would consider mandatory weekend and holiday shifts if the government paid them penalty rates, but this has so far not been the case.
Opposition spokeswoman for transport Candice Burch said Canberra commuters relying on weekend bus services should travel for free until driver shortages and weekend service cancellations were resolved.
"The Labor-Greens government promised more weekend services under the new network," Miss Burch said.
"Instead, people relying on public transport over the weekend have been forced to wait for long periods, sometimes well over an hour, for their bus.
"Adding insult to injury, passengers are often not notified of service cancellations. It's unfair to expect people to pay for a service that may or may not show up. More weekend services was one of the few benefits to come out of the new network.
"But like the rest of the network, weekend services are in chaos and the government has been unable to deliver.
"Weekend bus users should travel free until the Labor-Greens government can guarantee reliable weekend services."
Transport Minister Chris Steel said there were an extra 1377 services in the new network and improving network reliability was one of the government's main focuses.
He said 30 new drivers were being trained and more than 70 people had responded to the latest recruitment drive.
"The new bus network has led to 30 per cent more people using weekend services than under the previous network," Mr Steel said.
He said the NXTBUS system provided passengers with information 90 minutes in advance of services.
Mr Steel said school holiday leave arrangements affected the availability of drivers over the past two weekends, with insufficient casual drivers to fill in.
"Drivers must book their leave 12 months in advance and thus availability of drivers was affected and there were insufficient casual drivers to fill the services," he said.
"Transport Canberra continues to review how technology can be used to improve our customer experience."