One of Canberra's busiest roads will be given an almost $2 million upgrade in a bid to reduce the number of crashes.
The federal government announced on Wednesday $1.8 million would be spent on improving safety along Southern Cross Drive.
The improvements would see two sets of traffic lights installed on the arterial road, at intersections with Ross Smith Crescent and Chewings Street.
ACT senator Zed Seselja said the upgrade would save lives.
"It can be a very difficult stretch of road, especially at peak times," Senator Seselja said.
"We see these choke points where local roads meet major thoroughfares and that can be very difficult to get out of the intersection."
The road has been the site of multiple fatalities and serious accidents in recent years, with a motorcyclist dying after a collision on the road in February 2018.
Earlier this year, four people were injured after a two-vehicle collision, with one having to be taken to hospital in a serious condition.
Tenders are expected to go out for the project in coming weeks through the ACT government.
It's expected construction on the safety upgrades would take up to six months once plans are formally approved.
Senator Seselja said the road had been chosen for the upgrade as part of a federal black spot program, identifying potentially dangerous roads for drivers.
"With additional black spot funding, we're able to do more substantial improvements," he said.
"The [black spot] committee looks at a couple of things like crash history and the likelihood of reducing crashes, and there's a ranking system for roads, and [Southern Cross Drive] came out on top this year."
Member for Ginninderra Tara Cheyne welcomed news of the funding.
"We've known for several years that this is a section of the road that is problematic for people, and these upgrade would be welcomed by residents," Ms Cheyne said.
"This will make a big difference to the community."
The ACT Labor backbencher said the ACT government had been considering funding its own upgrade for Southern Cross Drive, saying it had been a live option before the federal funding was announced.
"The ACT government has a lot of priority intersections they were considering at one time to upgrade," Ms Cheyne said.
"I also understand the ACT government had been lobbying the federal government that these intersections [on Southern Cross Drive] be upgraded."
More than 100 Scullin, Page and Florey residents had signed a petition calling for safer intersections along Southern Cross Drive.