Access Canberra has slapped a Woden development with a stop work notice after building work was allegedly done without approval.
The site, consisting of eight dwellings on a consolidated block of land, will remain under the order until the government arm is satisfied all relevant building approvals are in place.
It was handed down by officials at 3.55pm on Wednesday.
ACT construction occupations registrar Ben Green said, "A building approval is not a 'nice to have' or negotiable - it is the law."
"The building approval process confirms that proposed building work meets building standards, including for the fire safety, structural soundness and accessibility of a building.
"Works must not start unless the approval is in place however this incident today unfortunately again demonstrates that some builders are not getting the fundamentals right."
Mr Green was frustrated by the parts of the construction industry that continued to disobey planning rules, he said. Several development sites had been shut down in the territory this year.
This case would continue to be investigated by the ACT government.
"But this acts as a further reminder that we will take action where it is identified that building work has occurred without the required approvals in place," Mr Green said.