Remaining Mr Fluffy owners will not be forced to leave their homes for another five years, but face the prospect of having their property compulsorily acquired if they aren't preparing to move out by mid-2025.
Minister for Employment and Workplace Safety Suzanne Orr on Tuesday afternoon announced measures to support remaining owners, including a "transition assistance" package for those facing financial hardship or suffering from complex health issues.
It marks the first time the government has outlined how it plans to deal with remaining owners as the buyback and demolition scheme draws to a close.
There are still 37 privately owned Mr Fluffy properties in the ACT.
June 30, 2020, had initially been described as the "last possible date" for owners of properties affected by potentially deadly loose-fill asbestos to surrender their lease.
The government signaled earlier this year that it was exploring options for owners beyond next year, although it was yet to finalise a firm position.
On Tuesday, it was revealed that while the voluntary buyback scheme would end on June 30 next year, the government wouldn't consider compulsorily acquiring properties that haven't been demolished until 2025.
The move is likely to anger owners who took up the government's buyback offer early on, amid fears their property would be compulsorily acquired once the scheme ended.
Ms Orr said the government would prefer not to have to forcibly acquire the properties, but suggested it might be the only option to keep owners, tenants and visitors safe.
Owners would receive compensation based on the "fair value" of their block, which would be lower than market value as it would have to factor in the asbestos contamination.
Planning official Geoffrey Rutledge, who has steered the government's asbestos response taskforce, was confident that forced acquisitions wouldn't be necessary, saying Tuesday's announcements contained added incentives for owners to join up to the scheme.
Owners who suffer from complex health issues or are facing financial hardship will be eligible for "transition assistance" to help them relocate to a new home - provided they sign contracts to surrender their Mr Fluffy property before the June 30 deadline.
The owners would be able to access equity in their home before settlement was reached, which could help them put down a deposit on a new home. They would have until December 31, 2020, to move out of their Mr Fluffy property.
Despite the offer and the threat of compulsory acquisition, Aranda resident Jean Geue said she was determined to stay in her Mr Fluffy home.
"I'm not leaving until they cart me out in a box," Mrs Geue, 81, said, adding that she was planning to live into her 90s.
"I don't want to leave my garden behind and, in any case, the government has never got to offer me nearly enough money."
"I come from a line of strong women - I'm going to keep fighting it."
On Tuesday, Ms Orr also announced that new laws would be introduced to prevent owners renovating their Mr Fluffy blocks.
From July 1, 2020, owners would also be barred from selling or leasing their Mr Fluffy homes to new occupants.
The so-called "occupancy prohibition" would be lifted once the block had been remediated and the property deleted from the government's register of affected homes.
Owners would also be required to display their asbestos managements plan in a clear plastic case at the front of their property.