Staff from Queanbeyan public schools have been called in to cover classes in Braidwood, as local teachers stay home to defend their own properties from nearby bushfires.
Schools in Braidwood reopened to students on Wednesday after being closed for two days due to the North Black Range bushfire.
Four staff from Queanbeyan have been called in to replace regular staff at Braidwood schools who are helping to fight the blaze.
Some staff at Braidwood schools are members of the Rural Fire Service.
The North Black Range fire, which has been burning for more than a week and burnt 25,000 hectares, has been threatening homes in areas surrounding Braidwood, including Bombay, Little Bombay and Forbes Creek.
The NSW Department of Education's director of education leadership Queanbeyan network Fiona Senior-Conroy said four staff and executives were on site at Braidwood Central School offering support to staff.
"I commend the teachers and executives from Queanbeyan public schools who offered to support Braidwood Central so staff could concentrate on RFS duties, other community work and protecting their own properties," she said.
Schools in Braidwood, including Braidwood Central School, Braidwood Preschool and St Bede's Primary School reopened to students on Wednesday.
Many roads in the area remain blocked due to the fire.
Wellbeing support has been offered to students and staff at schools in Braidwood.
A NSW Department of Education spokesman said close communication would be kept with authorities, including the Rural Fire Service, police, SES and the health department.
"[This is] so the best advice can be provided to ensure the wellbeing of students and staff at local schools," the spokesman said.
"Decisions about the operation of schools is made when the best predictions from the RFS and authorities is available and communicated by schools to the relevant school communities.
"The Department of Education will continue to facilitate support from Queanbeyan and other areas not directly affected by fires will continue to be available for as long as needed and on days when authorities advise that access is safe."
Fire crews say conditions are easing on the fire front but conditions are set to deteriorate on Thursday with strong westerly winds predicted.
NSW Rural Fire Service Lake George district officer Darren Marks said 150 firefighters were battling the blaze.
More than 60 kilometres of containment lines had been established, but Mr Marks said there was the possibility the fire could breach those lines.
"Winds are predicted to get up between 35 and 50 kilometres per hour and be from the west, so we have risks similar to Tuesday and the potential to get spot fires or get intense areas," he said.
"That would lead to the risk of the Kings Highway and Cooma Road being closed for a short period of time."