A man charged over the alleged stabbing murder of a 27-year-old in Canberra's north will remain behind bars before his next court appearance in March.
Jayscen Anthony Newby, 26, fronted the ACT Magistrates Court on Monday charged with murder. He did not enter a plea, and did not apply for bail.
Police have previously said they responded to reports of a disturbance at the Silver Gums townhouse complex in Charnwood, about 1.30am on Saturday.
They found a 27-year-old man with significant stab wounds at the house. He was taken to hospital, but died a short time later.
Officers said they did an "extensive search" around North Canberra for the 26-year-old man suspected of being involved in the man's murder.
Mr Newby handed himself into Canberra City Police Station about 4.30pm on Saturday, police said.
In court on Monday, the identity of the 27-year-old alleged victim was suppressed because he had not been formally identified.
Prosecutor Keegan Lee told the court he was seeking a longer than usual period before Mr Newby's next court appearance. Police had to complete their investigations into the alleged murder, he said.
Mr Newby was remanded in custody to front court again on March 10.
On Saturday, ACT Policing Detective Acting Superintendent Matt Craft said a witness to the alleged incident was assisting officers with their investigation.
The witness was believed to be in the house when the alleged incident happened.
"[It is] obviously a very traumatic time for them and also for the families of all those who are involved," Acting Superintendent Craft said.
"It's certainly at terrible, tragic incident for them. We will be doing as much as we can to wrap as much support around them as we can."
Police were seen patrolling the townhouse complex on Saturday afternoon and the driveway was taped off.