Action buses will make a brief appearance on the Federal Highway at the end of the month.
Buses will replace some light rail services from January 26 to January 31 while Canberra Metro undertakes night maintenance works on sections of the light rail track.
The maintenance works will occur over a two-week period, starting on Monday.
Next week the works will not impact light rail services as it starts at 12.30am, after the last evening service for the light rail.
From January 26, works will start at 8pm and light rail services between Dickson and Gungahlin will be replaced with buses.The buses will operate to the 15-minute light rail frequency.
People will not have to tap on or off when using the replacement bus services.
Light rail services between the Dickson Interchange and Alinga Street will operate as usual.
The main works will be at two locations - near Exhibition Park and between Manning Clark Crescent and Kate Crace Street, Gungahlin.
Maintenance works will involve grinding and welding activity. Some construction noise is expected and nearby residents have been informed.
Effects on public transport users:
- Light rail services will operate as per normal at the start of each day commencing from 6am.
- From 8pm each evening from Sunday January 26 to Thursday January 30, buses will replace light rail in both directions from Dickson interchange to Gungahlin Place.
- Customers should use bus stops near each light rail stop on Northbourne Avenue and Flemington Road.
- Bus service replacement vehicles will operate every 15 minutes, the same as light rail.
- Customers will not be required to tap on and off on these buses.
- All northbound light rail services leaving the city at Alinga Street after the 7.30pm service will terminate at Dickson interchange. Passengers continuing their journey from Dickson will be required to catch a bus.
- All southbound light rail services leaving Gungahlin Place after the 7.45pm service will be replaced by buses, terminating at Dickson interchange. Passengers continuing their journey from Dickson will be required to catch light rail.
- Light rail services will operate as normal between Dickson Interchange and Alinga Street, City.