Students and teachers returning to ACT schools next week have been told to stay away if they have travelled to Wuhan in China or had close contact with a confirmed case of coronavirus.
Even if they don't have symptoms, they must stay away from school or childcare until ACT Health says it is safe.
Students and staff who have travelled to other areas of mainland China are able to attend school and childcare as normal, but should contact their doctor if they start to show symptoms.
Symptoms include fever, coughing, a sore throat, shortness of breath and fatigue.
The Australian National University believes a handful of its students are in Wuhan, and a number are still in China and are expected to return to the capital before the start of semester.
Students thought to be in Hubei province in China have been contacted by the university with offers of early access to on-campus accommodation and assistance with self-isolation in Australia. But if students don't think they would be able to start the semester by March 10 - two weeks after semester starts, the university is recommending they defer study for a semester.
The ACT Health department has repeated the advice of federal Chief Medical Officer Brendan Murphy for people who have travelled to the Chinese city of Wuhan and the Hubei province to stay at home for 14 days after returning.
ACT Chief Health Officer Dr Kerryn Coleman said there were no confirmed cases of novel coronavirus in the territory and that of a handful of people who had been investigated, all had returned negative results.
Dr Coleman said she was not aware of any cases of Canberrans in the city of Wuhan.
There are no cases currently being investigated in the ACT and Dr Coleman said ACT authorities were well-placed to deal with any cases and were taking a "highly precautionary" approach.
"We wish to reassure the Canberra community that while this situation is evolving there is no need for alarm," Dr Coleman said.
"All jurisdictions, including the ACT, are meeting regularly and updating intelligence as the situation develops, so the best and most up to date medical advice can be provided to the community."
Dr Coleman said it was important for people who had traveled to Hubei province who experienced influenza-like symptoms to see a doctor, and to call ahead so they can be prepared for the visit.
Australian National University has stepped up its response based on the updated health advice, with a pandemic plan in place that can be quickly rolled out if needed. It's believed semester one will start as expected.
The university is contacting students directly with resources both in English and Mandarin. Students who can't access the university due to travel bans will be offered the ability to study online.
All official student and staff travel to China and Hong Kong has been suspended.
Staff in the Australian public service have been told that if they are in one of the groups that needs to self-isolate as a precautionary measure, agencies should consider allowing them to work from home where appropriate and allow them to take paid miscellaneous leave for the period.