Canberra Raiders centre Sebastian Kris is on extended sick leave and has been absent for the entire pre-season.
Kris has been touted as a possible option for the Raiders right edge given the uncertainty surrounding recruit Curtis Scott's immediate playing future and the release of Joey Leilua to join Wests Tigers.
But given the 20-year-old hasn't trained that's unlikely.
Kris has played four games for the Green Machine, scoring three tries, since making his debut against South Sydney in round 10 last year.
He's covered several roles, including on the wing and at centre, and could have been in the mix if he wasn't on sick leave.
The Raiders were set to play Scott at right centre, but he's anxiously awaiting NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg's decision on whether he'll use the no-fault policy to stand him down.
Scott's currently facing six charges, including two counts of allegedly assaulting a police officer, but pled not guilty at the Downing Centre Local Court in Sydney on Friday.
Greenberg will make a decision on whether Scott will be stood down from playing at the Australian Rugby League Commission board meeting on Thursday.
Given Leilua has joined the Tigers on a three-year deal, if Scott's stood down it opens up a spot in the centres.
Michael Oldfield is one option to wear the No.4 jersey.
Raiders chief executive Don Furner said they weren't currently looking to bring anyone in from outside the club as cover following Leilua's departure.
He said Kris hadn't trained yet this pre-season.
MORE CANBERRA SPORT
"He's just on extended sick leave. We've given him time off," Furner said.
Furner backed the NSWRL's introduction of new concussion protocols into their competitions, including the NSW Cup where the Raiders' feeder-team Mounties plays.
They've brought in an 18th man as a concussion substitute, along with a mandatory stand-down period of 14 days for all concussions.
The latter helps ensure coaches can't exploit the extra player on the bench.
Furner said he was yet to read the whole policy, but backed any additional concussion protocols as a positive step.
He was unsure whether the NRL was using the rule changes as a trial with a view to bringing them in at the elite level in the future.
Furner backed the current NRL concussion protocols, but felt the NSWRL changes could be an option down the track.
"I didn't read the whole policy, but anything around concussion is a good thing," he said.
"Sport has learnt a lot from the NFL and brought these changes in 5-7 years ago which were for the better.
"The NRL have been a leader in concussion in terms of the way they've changed.
"When they first did it they were getting criticised from some sections to say that's soft.
"But it's proven to be a good change and I think they're at the forefront of making those changes.
"It's possibly something that will happen down the track, but at the moment the protocols around concussion that the NRL have on game day are pretty strong."