National Capital Rally organisers are considering hosting the event in July after it was postponed due to escalating coronavirus concerns.
The global coronavirus pandemic is forcing sports to overhaul their schedules, with rally officials making the decision to postpone the event in consultation with the ACT government on Sunday.
The National Capital Rally was scheduled to take place next weekend in the Tidbinbilla and Kowen Forests of Canberra.
Motorsport Australia, Events ACT and Australian Rally Championship staff had originally planned to meet on Monday to discuss whether the race would proceed, or if they would have to ban spectators from attending the two-day event.
Event director Adrian Dudok raised concerns about delaying the decision given crews would be traveling from all corners of the country to attend.
MORE CANBERRA SPORT
The decision was ultimately made to ensure teams could avoid any unnecessary travel, as well as the health and safety of those involved.
"Having heard and read as much as I could about the virus and knowing we would be bringing people from all around the country to a central spot in Canberra, I had some serious concerns," Dudok said.
"Particularly when things like Skyfire and other events were being cancelled, I thought it prudent we had a good look at ourselves and make a decision.
"The decision we made was based on the health and safety of our crews, volunteers and the rest of the population.
"We could have left the decision until Wednesday or Thursday but because we've got people traveling from all over the country, I wanted to spare them the expense and stress of towing rally cars across the country only to be told to put it back on the trailer and go home.
"Nobody could guarantee if we made a go decision on Sunday, it would still be in place next weekend.
"It leaves me with the only decision that was binding, to cancel or postpone. So reluctantly, I've had to postpone."
Numerous sports in Canberra having gone into lockdown this weekend after the federal government advised gatherings of 500 people or more should be cancelled from Monday.
There were 22 entries in the ARC event, not including state and club competitors. No drivers have been tested for COVID-19 to the ARC's knowledge.
Rally officials are considering rescheduling the event in mid-July if the coronavirus threat has subsided. Otherwise they risk cancelling the meet altogether.
"There's an opening in the calendar in the middle of July. That's going to bring with it problems of short daylight hours and cold conditions in Canberra," Dudok said.
"But if that's the only date left, we'll just stick to it and see. Other than that there's not too many gaps in the calendar we could fit into, assuming the coronavirus will be over and done by then."
The ARC official's decision to call off the racing meet means they join a long list of organisations to cancel sporting events in Canberra.
Basketball ACT cancelled all competitions over the weekend and will reassess the situation on Monday, while the Sunday Soccer League suspended the remaining two rounds of its mixed seven-a-side competition.
We have removed our paywall from our stories about the coronavirus. This is a rapidly changing situation and we want to make sure our readers are as informed as possible. If you would like to support our journalists you can subscribe here.