There's something about a honey jumble that takes you straight back to your childhood. Did you prefer the ones with pink icing or white icing. Perfect with a cuppa, go on, you deserve a couple.
1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
3/4 cup golden syrup
1 egg, beaten lightly
2 1/2 cups plain flour
1/2 cup self-raising flour
1/2 tsp bicarb soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground clove
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp mixed spice
1 egg white
1 1/2 cups pure icing sugar
2 tsp plain flour
1 tbs lemon juice, approximately
pink food colouring
1. Preheat oven to 160C. Grease oven trays.
2. Stir butter, sugar and syrup in a medium saucepan over low heat until sugar dissolves. Cool for 10 mins.
3. Transfer cooled mixture to a large bowl; stir in egg and sifted dry ingredients, in two batches. Knead dough on a floured surface until it loses its stickiness. Wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate 30 mins.
4. Divide dough into eight portions. Roll each portion into a 2cm thick sausage; cut each sausage into five 6cm lengths. Place on trays about 3cm apart; round ends with lightly floured fingers, flatten slightly. Bake for 15 mins. Cool on trays.
5. For the icing, beat egg white lightly in a small bowl; gradually stir in sifted icing sugar and flour, then enough juice to make icing spreadable. Place half the mixture in another small bowl; tint with pink colouring. Keep icings covered with a damp tea towel while in use. Spread over cooled biscuits.
Makes 40 biscuits.
- Recipe from CSR Sugar. csrsugar.com.au