The NRL could resume in just six weeks with the ARL Commission set to meet to decide on Thursday afternoon whether a May 21 start date is feasible.
Resuming a week later is another option being considered.
It comes less than three weeks after the NRL was forced to indefinitely postpone the competition just two rounds in due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Falling infection rates has had rugby league's governing body bullish about a return to the field so it can start bringing revenue back to the game.
One model reportedly being proposed would see the Canberra Raiders, along with the Newcastle Knights, able to remain in Canberra and travel to Sydney to play games.
The other option is a two-conference system that would split the competition into two groups of eight.
This caused an uproar because it initially planned to scrap the two games every club had already played.
MORE CANBERRA SPORT
It would've benefited the six winless clubs - the Sydney Roosters, Cronulla Sharks, St George Illawarra, Canterbury Bulldogs, the New Zealand Warriors and the Gold Coast Titans - while also disadvantaging the six undefeated sides, which included the Raiders.
But ARLC chairman Peter V'landys reassured the clubs that wouldn't happen and the games already played would stand.
Raiders chief executive Don Furner will be part of the Project Apollo meeting on Thursday morning that will decide upon a recommendation for the ARLC to rubber stamp.
The new proposal would see the players from the Sydney-based clubs remain at home while the three Queensland teams - Brisbane, North Queensland and the Titans - the Melbourne Storm and the Warriors would base themselves in the Harbour City.
The Warriors have been given permission to fly across the Ditch despite both Australia and New Zealand introducing travel restrictions to stop the spread of the COVID-19 virus.
It would also allow the Raiders to remain in Canberra and travel to Sydney on game day.
They flew to and from the Gold Coast to face the Warriors on the day of the game in round two.
It would mean the Raiders didn't need to go into total self-isolation as part of the proposed NRL bubble, which included plans for every player to be locked in a hotel room on their own for two weeks.
That idea was met with resistance from Storm captain and future Immortal Cameron Smith, who felt it was too much to ask.
Raiders prop Josh Papalii joked he had a simple solution to doing the time - just spend it asleep.
Papalii has previously said he would do anything to achieve his dream of ending the Green Machine's 26-year premiership drought.
That was when the NRL was investigating the potential of relocating all the teams to a base in Queensland at somewhere like the resort in Gladstone.
But Sydney has firmed as the preferred home for the competition due to its proximity to coronavirus testing facilities that would allow results to be processed in a matter of hours rather than days.
Papalii said he would happily lock himself up for the cause - provided they were given assurances they would definitely play.
That wouldn't bother me. It just means 14 days of sleep.Josh Papalii
"That wouldn't bother me. It just means 14 days of sleep," Papalii said.
"If we had to do it to get back to playing I'm happy to do it. But if we're going to do the 14 days and end up not playing then there's no point doing it."
Papalii has been spending his days looking after his young family, especially when his wife Masepa is at her part-time job.
He's been homeschooling his children, playing with them and also finding time to keep in shape.
He was enjoying his time with them while he could in case he had to spend lengthy periods away from them.
If the players were forced to relocate to Sydney or anywhere else then they could potentially spend months without seeing their families.
"That's what it's all about, just having fun together with the family. I guess I have to go and get back to my work. So far it's been pretty fun," Papalii said.