Parents have welcomed the ACT government's plan to move public school students back to the classroom, but have stressed the need for "really clear communication" to help families manage the transition.
The Barr government has announced plans for a staggered return to classroom learning, which will see students in all year levels back on campus by June 2.
Students in preschool, kindergarten and years 1, 2, 7, 11 and 12 will be the first back to class on May 18.
Catholic school students are also expected to start returning to class on that date.
Education minister Yvette Berry expected "not everyone" would support the government's back-to-school plan, acknowledging some parents remained concerned about their child's safety on campus.
But Ms Berry said it was appropriate to start moving back to classroom learning because the Canberra community had been so successful in suppressing the spread of COVID-19.
The federal government has welcomed the announcement, although ACT Opposition leader Alistair Coe said students should have been allowed to return earlier.
ACT Council of Parents and Citizens Association president Kirsty McGovern-Hooley said parents were pleased to have a "clear plan in place for the return to school", which was consistent with health advice.
However, she did acknowledge there were "mixed views" among parents about the return.
The association held video-conferences with parents' groups on Tuesday and Wednesday night to gather feedback on remote education and the transition back to classroom learning.
Ms McGovern-Hooley said Ms Berry and her directorate had listened to parents' views and concerns in developing the plan. She was pleased the government had given parents a week of notice before the first cohort of students started returning to class, as they had requested.
She said parents were now looking for "really clear communication" about the logistics of the transition, as well as how health protocols on campus would be managed.
She said families needed extra support in the coming weeks, noting some students would need extra time to make the transition.
"Parents need really clear communication around the plan for return, offers of help and support, and the details of new protocols and procedures, like where to drop off and pick up kids, sanitising, absences and so on," she said.
"For students with additional learning needs or disabilities, really clear information is required on the exact arrangements."
Ms McGovern-Hooley said numerous problems emerged during the shift to remote learning at the start of Term 1, with younger student and those with special needs facing particular difficulties.
She said the "hub" school model was "not working". The nine schools will cease operating as supervised sites from next Friday, with students allowed to return to their normal school on May 18. They will continue to learn online until their year level has transitioned back to the classroom.
Mark Leonard said his children Hugh, 8, and Lachlan, 10, who attend Red Hill Primary School, were looking forward to returning to class.
"They are both excited to get back so they can catch up with their mates," Mr Leonard said, adding he didn't agree with the government's original decision to close schools.
The ACT government's announcement on Thursday came amid mounting pressure from parents, the federal government and the ACT Opposition to start moving students back into the classroom.
It followed weeks of upheaval in the public school system, which started when the government moved schools "pupil-free" at the end of Term 1.
The Barr government announced in early April that classes would be delivered remotely for the duration of Term 2. A week later, it opened the door to an earlier return as the territory started to gain an upper-hand in the fight against coronavirus.
Then late last week, Ms Berry foreshadowed plans for a staggered return to classroom learning at some point in Term 2.
Speaking on Thursday, she insisted the government had made clear throughout the pandemic it was prepared to change its approach if circumstances warranted it.
"The circumstances have changed," she said.
"We've had very low numbers of positive diagnosis in the ACT, a blitz on testing and an easing of restrictions across the community. That means there is more confidence in our school communities about a return to campus education."
Ms Berry said feedback from parents groups, Australian Education Union and school principles had informed the decision.
"This decision hasn't been made overnight," she said.
The Canberra Liberals welcomed plans to reopen schools for classroom learning, but were critical of the fact that some students would be forced to wait another month before they could return to campus.
Mr Coe said it was his preference all students return to class ahead of the government's schedule, adding he believed children should be been allowed back to their normal school at the start of Term 1.
Opposition education spokeswoman Elizabeth Lee, speaking at the same press conference, largely echoed her leader's statements. But she disagreed the timetable for students' return should be altered, suggesting that could cause more confusion for parents.
The pair again attacked the government for closing schools in defiance of the advice of medical experts.
Ms Berry said staggering return dates would give teachers and principals time to prepare for the reopening of schools.