The ACT government is poised to unveil its plan for restarting community sport on Wednesday after mixed messages led to mass confusion in Canberra's major sporting organisations.
The government will clarify its stance on organised sport after statements from the Chief Minister and Health Minister appeared to contradict each other after easing restrictions.
Chief Minister Andrew Barr cleared the way for 10 friends to kick a football at a field or attend boot camps, but Health Minister Rachel Stephen-Smith said Canberra sporting teams would be limited to two people at a time.
ACT sporting grounds are yet to be officially opened, creating concerns about insurance if a player from an organised sport suffered injury at a non-sanctioned training.
The Canberra coalition of major professional and participation sports met on Tuesday and will be briefed by the government on Wednesday about what confused amateur athletes can and can't do after police intervene to stop a rugby union training session last weekend.
The sporting coalition has been continually meeting to discuss return to play protocols and how to implement restrictions, as well as the sharing of facilities if seasons overlap.
Cricket ACT boss James Allsopp said: "We're seeking clarity from the government in terms of what the changes mean for return to training for our respective sports.
MORE CANBERRA SPORT
"We're hopeful we'll be able to provide that to our stakeholders and members by the back end of this week."
The Canberra Raiders and ACT Brumbies were both given permission to start their training sessions, although the NRL has stricter protocols because of its proposed May 28 season restart.
The Brumbies had their first session on Tuesday, doing a speed session at the University of Canberra ghost down while students are still unable to physically attend classes.
But amateur sports are unsure if they are able to organise their own sessions in groups of 10 or less despite the government's restriction changes last week. Stephen-Smith said organised sport limits were different to the guidelines announced on Friday.
"The ACT government has begun work to determine how to ease restrictions on some outdoor community sport and recreation activities," a government spokesperson said.
"This will be done in a gradual way - allowing our health experts to assess the impacts of each decision.
"... The government is working with sporting organisations to discuss which activities will be able to resume first and how they should continue to manage physical distancing measures, personal hygiene, and effective cleaning."
Clubs and sporting bodies are expecting the government will detail the cleanliness requirements for venues, the need for additional sanitiser and how many players will be allowed to be at one training ground at the same time.
Most sports are planning to restart community-level competition in July, with the hope players will be given between two and four weeks of full-contact training before round one.
Initial training will be limited to ball work and fitness to maintain the 1.5 metres social distancing requirements.
Hockey Australia is preparing a return to play framework for its competitions around the country, following the AIS guidelines published two weeks ago.
Some Canberra soccer teams have started training in groups of 10, but it remains unclear if they are eligible to do after the mixed restrictions messages.