On this day in 1976, The Canberra Times reported the Whisketts pet food was found to contain a toxic pesticide, toxaphene.
It was reported that ill cats and dogs within Canberra had consumed Whisketts pet food. Mrs Lily Parfitt of Ainslie, said her two cats began to shake and froth at the mouth after eating the food.
A cat in her same street had shown the same symptoms. A Queanbeyan veterinary surgeon warned people about presuming that any illness of their cats had been caused by eating Whiskettes.
Another veterinary surgeon had treated two dogs within the same period which had also been affected by the food. When vomiting had been induced, the dogs had brought up Whisketts.
Mr Allan Unsworth, the research and development manager for Uncle Ben's of Australia, which produces the pet food, said that he believed some of the affected batches could have been sold in Canberra.
Mr Unsworth said that someone had been extremely irresponsible with their use of the pesticide and for providing the raw material to Uncle Ben's in this condition. Vets were notified that there was an antidote that could be used.