The territory's backlog of court cases accumulated during the COVID-19 crisis will take many months to clear, the ACT's chief magistrate says.
A practice direction issued on Wednesday said "usual business" would resume at the ACT Magistrates and Childrens courts from June 2 - with a few exceptions.
Social distancing requirements and increased hygiene standards would continue to apply, as would an order that prohibits people who might have coronavirus from entering the courts.
Only people with a "direct interest" in a matter would be allowed in a given court room, and people in custody applying for bail or appearing for a mention would continue to do so via audio-visual link or phone.
Family violence and protection order interim applications would continue via Webex or phone, as would court-ordered mediations and the civil return of subpoenas list. But, all other civil matters would remain stayed until July 1, the practice direction said.
Chief Magistrate Lorraine Walker said the court registry would continue to not accept documents, but would re-open to assist people with their inquiries.
She said people entering the ACT Law Courts building should allow extra time to pass through security "noting there may be considerable delays due to physical distancing measures".
"Whilst the court has staggered the start time for some lists, this will not address the issue entirely," Ms Walker said.
Ms Walker said the Magistrates Court had prioritised matters involving family violence and people remanded in custody in recent weeks, and other matters had been delayed as a result.
She said the delayed matters would be listed "as efficiently as possible" in the coming months.
"A significant backlog has accumulated," Ms Walker said.
"Addressing this will take many months."
ACT Magistrates and Childrens Court matters that have been stayed or adjourned without a date would proceed when the court advised parties, the practice direction said.