A decision has not been made on whether the ACT government's kangaroo cull will proceed this year.
The kangaroo cull has been undertaken annually in Canberra for more than a decade, but is being reassessed in the wake of the unprecedented bushfires which destroyed large parts of Namadgi National Park.
The government's website said the cull of Eastern Grey kangaroos is to keep the population numbers under control, protect the environment from overgrazing and prevent starvation of kangaroos from localised food shortages.
While it has been deemed necessary in the past, the Orroral Valley fire, which started on January 27, burned more than 50 per cent of Namadgi National Park and likely decimated kangaroo populations.
"Our expert ecologists will assess the impact of bushfires on kangaroo numbers and the condition of parks and reserves to determine if a cull is required this year," an ACT government spokesman said in February.
Earlier this week, a spokesman said a decision was still pending. It is expected to be made in the coming week.
"A decision on the kangaroo cull is under consideration by the ACT Conservator of Flora and Fauna".
The cull normally begins in early May and finishes by July. The government said this was to protect young kangaroos at an age where they may be orphaned by the shooting of the mother.
In 2019, there was a record 4035 kangaroos killed in Canberra's cull.