Recently discovered photos and videos reveal that a Canberra pub owner filmed himself raping his then-partner as she lay unconscious more than nine years ago, police allege.
The 35-year-old man, who cannot be named for legal reasons, denies the claims.
Before being refused bail in the ACT Magistrates Court on Thursday, he pleaded not guilty to charges of rape and committing an act of indecency without consent.
In documents tendered to the court, police allege the man used the family camera to capture three videos and 28 photos of himself committing the offences early on New Year's Day in 2011.
The alleged victim was "heavily unconscious" after celebrating the new year, according to the police documents, which provide graphic details of the alleged attack. The incident is said to have spanned 25 minutes.
Police say the woman's mother found the photos and videos while going through old camera memory cards last month, sparking their investigation.
Officers subsequently raided three properties on Wednesday, arresting the man and seizing evidence including cameras and a USB drive.
According to the police documents, videos and photos on the USB show at least four separate incidents in which the man appears to be sexually assaulting the woman while she is asleep or unconscious.
"It is anticipated that further charges will be laid pending forensic examination and review of the images and videos," the documents say.
In court on Thursday, prosecutor Ryan Roberts said bail should be refused on several grounds. They included that the man was likely to commit offences, endanger the safety and welfare of others, and interfere with evidence or witnesses.
Mr Roberts said police were also investigating whether there were multiple victims. He said some of the photos and videos located during the raids appeared to show the man sexually assaulting an unidentified woman.
Officers were also still looking into whether the photos or videos had been shared online.
The accused man's lawyer, Peter Woodhouse, acknowledged the unusual nature of the case.
"There's no escaping that these are serious [alleged] offences and they are somewhat bizarre in the way they were detected given they are nine years old," he said.
But Mr Woodhouse said bail conditions could mitigate any perceived risks posed by his client's release.
He said the man had a "very limited" criminal history and had previously demonstrated an ability to comply with court orders.
Mr Woodhouse also said there had been "ongoing, acrimonious family law matters" involving the man and his ex-partner since 2014, but no suggestion of him making any threats towards her in all that time.
There was no possibility of the man interfering with evidence if granted bail, Mr Woodhouse argued, because police had already seized his electronic devices.
"The risks are at an insufficient level to warrant the refusal of bail," he said.
But Magistrate Bernadette Boss denied the 35-year-old man bail, saying she could not be satisfied he would comply with conditions.
She said the police allegations alluded not to an isolated incident, but to "a history of domestic violence and controlling behaviours" during the man's relationship with the alleged victim
Dr Boss also said the alleged victim was "very fearful" of the man, whose psychological diagnoses were of concern.
The man is due in court again in August.