The boss of the ABC's local Canberra office has apologised to staff after many found out details about proposed redundancies from a press release from ACT minister Shane Rattenbury.
Sweeping job losses at the national broadcaster were confirmed on Monday, with 250 jobs set to be made redundant across the country due to a funding shortfall from government.
Locally, it's believed four positions will be made redundant: a director, editor, camera operator and administrative role.
One of the cuts will be made by not filling a vacant camera operator role.
Staff at the ABC's Canberra office on Northbourne Avenue are said to be disappointed after many found out those details from a press release from Mr Rattenbury, the ACT Greens leader on Monday.
ABC's Canberra editor Michelle Ainsworth had emailed the head of Chief Minister Andrew Barr's communications team at lunchtime on Monday, referring to the national announcement and explaining local implications.
"I'm hoping you can pass this onto the CM [Chief Minister] as well as your wider team," the email said, leading government representatives to believe staff already knew its contents and the information was public.
An ABC spokeswoman told The Canberra Times a "confidential" email was sent to the chief minister's office as a courtesy.
"The email was only sent after everyone who could be potentially directly impacted by the proposed changes had been spoken with in person," the spokeswoman said.
"Regrettably, without it being checked with us the information was published by the ACT Greens later in the day, shortly before all staff were sent the full change proposals. We have talked to the team about it and apologised that this happened."
Staff at ABC Canberra are particularly angry about the loss of the 7.45am news bulletin, which gives a comprehensive look at local issues.