A former Gold Coast rich-lister accused of swindling almost a million dollars has been told he can not take an overseas holiday for fear he may miss his trial due to the coronavirus.
Craig Kirrin Gore says he intends to fight 12 fraud charges that stem from allegations the former property developer defrauded superannuation companies for $800,000 in 2013 and 2014.
While he awaits trial, the 53-year-old had hoped to vary his bail and travel to Sweden to spend some time with his wife and two children.
Gore told the court he had not seen them since returning to Australia in early 2019 and he had already booked a flight.
However, he promised to return to Australia in November and face trial.
Gore said he also had plans to visit the United States to provide property development advice to a major Texas project.
The former motor racing identity claimed he was also working on a California vodka project, a disposable battery project, and a Hawaiian spring water project.
But the Brisbane District Court on Friday denied the application.
It found that due to the uncertainty of the COVID-19 crisis, Gore could become marooned overseas and unable to return to face court.
Judge Paul Smith said it was also possible Gore may just decide not to return given his case was at the "sharp-end" of the proceedings.
"One could understand that once in Sweden away from the Queensland courts and with his family, he would decide not to come back to Australia where there is the potential of receiving a significant jail sentence," he said.
"The charges are serious ones and the applicant faces a considerable custodial sentence if convicted."
Gore is the son of Mike Gore, who developed Gold Coast resort Sanctuary Cove in 1988.
Mike Gore left Australia owing $25 million in 1992 and died in Canada of a heart attack two years later.
Gore's case will return to court on Tuesday for a pre-trial hearing.
Australian Associated Press