Chief Minister Andrew Barr says the ACT will accept international flights diverted from Melbourne if asked.
But he said the territory would not be willing to cater to more than one plane of passengers in hotel quarantine at one time.
Victoria has requested that all international flights are sent elsewhere for two weeks as it grapples with a dramatic surge in coronavirus cases.
Premier Daniel Andrews announced a probe into the state's hotel quarantine program after it was revealed many outbreaks in the community were linked to it.
Mr Barr on Wednesday said there was some potential the ACT would be asked to take a flight.
The territory has so far taken two international flights since rules mandating 14 days of hotel quarantine for passengers returning from overseas came into force.
"If we are asked and there are no alternatives and those people do need to get back into Australia, then we wouldn't refuse," Mr Barr said.
"But I'm not out there advocating for more of those flights to come to Canberra."
Mr Barr said he was confident with the strength of ACT's quarantine measures.
He said it was critical all quarantine protocols were upheld for anyone returning to Australia.
"We've managed those two flights that we've taken so far effectively," he said.
Michael Thomson, Head of Aviation at Canberra Airport, said the airport would welcome diverted flights.
"We've got the capacity to take international flights," he said.
"We are guided by the authorities. If the authorities are comfortable taking these flights we are more than happy in providing the facilities and infrastructure for them."
He said one of the advantages of Canberra was that the international part of the terminal was separate from the domestic.
"One of the strengths we have is a 'clean' international terminal so the possibility of international passengers mixing with other passengers is non-existent," Mr Thomson said.
The configuration of the airport, with a separate international section of the terminal, meant Canberra would be safer for Border Force staff, he said.
NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian said the state did not want to take extra international flights from Melbourne, saying other capital cities should take their share.
"NSW has borne the overwhelming burden of returning Aussies on behalf of the nation, Victoria has as well to some extent," she said.
"It's fair given those diversions that other states take on those flights (to) Melbourne. Even today, I got an update saying over the past week, there's been a 50 per cent increase in the number of overseas travellers in hotel quarantine.
"It's reasonable to say to other states who've been able to live in their bubbles because we've borne the burden of these overseas travellers, 'please share in that burden, we've already done 30-odd thousand'."