A Canberra cafe owner has failed in a bid to keep his name secret as he fights an allegation that he put his hand down a nine-year-old girl's pants just metres from one of his businesses.
Diego Andres Barragan Quintero, 32, was granted bail when he appeared in the ACT Magistrates Court on Monday.
The Colombian national, who lives in Ngunnawal, is pleading not guilty to one count of committing an act of indecency on a child.
In documents tendered to the court, police say a nine-year-old girl walked a short distance from her home to the Florey shops and bought eggs from the SupaExpress on March 31 last year.
As the girl set off home, she walked past Mr Barragan Quintero's pop-up store, Cafe Bolivar, and headed towards an underpass about 40 metres away.
By the entrance to the underpass, she allegedly spotted Mr Barragan Quintero walking around in circles and looking at his phone.
The girl feared that Mr Barragan Quintero might be "a robber", according to the police documents, which say he was wearing a hooded jacket and black gloves.
The girl stopped and waited a while, but decided to enter the underpass.
Once the girl was inside, police allege that Mr Barragan Quintero grabbed her from behind, put one of his hands down the girl's pants and rubbed her bottom.
The girl yelled "stop" twice, as loudly as possible, and ran home to tell her mother, according to the police documents.
Mr Barragan Quintero allegedly ran to the Florey shops, where he was captured on CCTV looking towards the underpass, taking off his hood and removing his jacket entirely moments after the alleged incident.
When spoken to by police, Mr Barragan Quintero denied seeing an unsupervised child, committing an act of an indecency on a child or entering the underpass.
He told police that at one point that day, he had heard a female voice yelling "get away" from behind the Florey shops. He said he went to investigate but could not see who had been yelling.
But according to the police documents, a forensic analysis of jackets worn by Mr Barragan Quintero and the nine-year-old girl found fibre evidence supporting the theory that the two pieces of clothing had come into contact.
Following what police described as "an extensive investigation", Mr Barragan Quintero was arrested at his home on Monday morning.
When he applied for bail, defence lawyer Andrew Fraser asked Magistrate Beth Campbell to make an order preventing the publication of Mr Barragan Quintero's name.
Mr Fraser said the prosecution's case against Mr Barragan Quintero was "very weak" and the disclosure of the 32-year-old's name would harm his reputation and business interests.
But prosecutor Juanita Zankin rejected suggestions the case was weak, and asked Ms Campbell to refuse Mr Barragan Quintero's applications for both bail and name suppression.
Ms Zankin said there was a likelihood the 32-year-old would not appear in court when required, while publication of his name would not obstruct the administration of justice.
Ms Campbell decided to grant bail, saying she was satisfied Mr Barragan Quintero would turn up to court because he had known he was under investigation for more than a year and probably would have fled the ACT already if that was his intention.
The magistrate imposed a number of bail conditions, including that the 32-year-old must surrender his passports and enter into a $5000 self-surety agreement. Mr Barragan Quintero's partner must also deposit a $2000 cash surety with the court.
Ms Campbell refused the application for name suppression, saying the case was "not exceptional".
"This is one jurisdiction in particular that prides itself on the openness of the information that is able to be provided to the community," she said.
Mr Barragan Quintero is due back in court next month.