A truck driver will remain in custody after being charged over a crash that killed an eight-year-old girl and injured several other people - including two Canberrans - on the Hume Highway on Friday.
Moss Vale truck driver Brendon Paul Lidgard was accused of dangerous driving after his vehicle slammed into a truck and three SUVs at the Frank Partridge Rest Area at Menangle, on the outskirts of Sydney, about 3pm on Friday.
Ambulance NSW duty operations manager David Kynaston said five crews, three specialist medical teams and two inspectors had been dispatched to the scene.
"Arriving at this scene was unlike anything we have experienced as paramedics - it was absolutely horrendous," he said.
"This is incredibly hard for the emergency services and the families involved who have to face the loss and injury of their loved ones.
"It's extremely difficult for paramedics and other emergency services to be confronted with such carnage - it was a very traumatic scene with obviously a lot of chaos."
The girl died at the scene and five other people were taken to Liverpool hospital with a variety of injuries.
- A 54-year-old ACT woman suffered multiple lower limb fractures as well as internal injuries;
- A 55-year-old ACT man suffered multiple rib fractures.
- A 45-year-old woman, from Forster, suffered a fractured hip, leg and head injuries;
- A 46-year-old man, from Glebe, suffered a compound fracture to his right arm; and
- A 45-year-old man, from Kings Park, was also taken to hospital suffering severe shock.
Mr Lidgard, 44, was taken to hospital for mandatory testing before being charged overnight with nine offences, including dangerous driving occasioning death and dangerous driving occasioning grievous bodily harm.
Two offences relate to alleged improper record-keeping in May and June.
His licence was also suspended.
He was not required to appear at Parramatta Bail Court on Saturday when his case was adjourned to Campbelltown Local Court on Wednesday.