Police believe an Australian rules football juniors coach may have been committing serious sexual offences against children in the ACT for about 20 years.
Officers intend to speak to a number of alleged victims of Stephen James Porter, who is already facing several charges linked to allegations that he raped one boy about 45 times.
Mr Porter, 51, was remanded in custody last month on charges of maintaining a sexual relationship with a child and using the internet to provide pornography to a child.
In the ACT Magistrates Court on Monday, he indicated he would plead not guilty to those charges.
Mr Porter was further charged on Monday with three counts of raping the same boy, and six counts of possessing child exploitation material. He did not enter or indicate pleas to the new charges.
In documents tendered to the court, police allege Mr Porter used his position as a juniors coach at the Ainslie Football Club to gain access to the boy under the guise of private coaching in 2014.
Mr Porter became close with the boy's family, according to police, who say he would often go to the family's home for dinner, drink too much and spend the night on a trundle bed in the boy's room.
In early 2016, Mr Porter allegedly discussed previous relationships with the boy and told him: "I like you. Don't tell your folks, I'll get in trouble".
Police allege that Mr Porter began sexually offending against the boy that summer, committing offences at his home and at the boy's place "as often as a few times a week over the next four years".
On occasions, the 51-year-old is alleged to have told the boy about using sex toys on other boys he had coached.
"It is estimated that the defendant engaged in sexual intercourse with [the boy] approximately 45 times over the period of three-four years," police say in court documents.
The boy reported Mr Porter's alleged offending last month, telling police that "when the defendant first started having sexual intercourse with him, he was scared, shaking and ashamed".
"However after a certain amount of time, it just became something that happened after training and [the boy] didn't know how to say 'no'," police allege in court documents.
Officers raided Mr Porter's home in Macgregor on June 27 and say they seized several items including sex toys, a USB containing child exploitation material, and several electronic devices.
During the raid, police say Mr Porter told them: "Well, I've had a good life. I've made it to 50. I've done well."
Police allege that this was a reference to his offending finally being exposed.
In court on Monday, Mr Porter's barrister Steven Whybrow acknowledged that each of the charges were serious and could result in significant jail sentences if Mr Porter was convicted.
However, Mr Whybrow said, there was still a presumption in favour of bail, and police were not worried that Mr Porter would fail to attend court when required.
Mr Whybrow said police concerns about Mr Porter committing offences if granted bail, and interfering with witnesses or evidence, had not been adequately explained.
He proposed a series of strict bail conditions, and said Mr Porter should not be left to "languish" in custody when at least some of the charges would be contested in a case highly unlikely to be finalised this year.
But prosecutor Nathan Deakes argued that bail should be refused.
Mr Deakes said Mr Porter was accused of "insidious" offences that involved him using "a position of reverence" and power to abuse a vulnerable child.
He claimed Mr Porter had also lied to police during the raid about which of his devices had child exploitation material stored on them.
Mr Deakes said police were concerned that if granted bail, Mr Porter, an ACT government IT worker who had been suspended from his job, would attempt to remotely access and delete material from devices that police were yet to seize.
The prosecutor also said there had been "nominations to police in relation to further victims", who were yet to be interviewed.
A police bail consideration form tendered to the court says officers fear Mr Porter might attempt to contact alleged victims and dissuade them from making statements.
"It is the belief of police that the defendant may have been committing serious sexual offences against young people for about 20 years," the form says.
Magistrate James Lawton decided to grant bail with several strict conditions, including that Mr Porter must not have contact with anyone under the age of 18, go to the Ainslie Football Club or use a mobile phone.
The case is due back in court on August 3.