Former Canberra Liberals candidate Vijay Dubey was set to be dumped from his party's ACT election team if he refused to step down, The Canberra Times has confirmed.
The Liberals announced Mr Dubey had withdrawn as one of their candidates in the inner-city of Kurrajong late on Tuesday afternoon, but provided no explanation for the decision.
Mr Dubey also declined to shed any light on his withdrawal, saying it was "all history to me" and he was "focusing on my next step".
The Canberra Times has confirmed that Mr Dubey was told he would be dis-endorsed if he didn't resign earlier this week.
The drastic step followed weeks of escalating tension between Mr Dubey, senior party officials and some candidates - including sitting members.
Liberal sources say officials became frustrated after Mr Dubey repeatedly flouted internal campaigning processes, including printing and distributing material without head office approval.
Supporters of Mr Dubey say the indiscretions were very minor, such as changing the name of a suburb on a letter which had been approved for distribution. Supporters claim Mr Dubey was treated poorly and starved of campaign funds - accusations which are denied by the party figures.
In response to inquiries from The Canberra Times, Mr Dubey said his candidacy was "all history for me".
"I am focusing on my next step," he said.
"I have dedicated my past six years toward community welfare and ... given my past five months and eight hours a day on the campaign trail. Time to rest and recharge my batteries."
Canberra Liberals campaign director Josh Manuatu, who announced Mr Dubey's resignation in a statement late on Tuesday afternoon, said he respected the candidate's decision and wished him well in the future.
Mr Manuatu said the Liberals were confident of finding an "outstanding candidate" to replace Mr Dubey on the party's election ticket.
Mr Dubey ran as an independent in the Belconnen-based seat of Ginninderra at the 2016 territory election, winning just 0.8 per cent of the vote.